Topic

Lost Coast trail–what are you hiking on?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Lost Coast trail–what are you hiking on?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ben F

@tekhna

From the map it looks like you're hiking on beach for most of the way. That's pretty tough, unless you're on the water-packed sand that isn't so hard.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

In many parts, the trail follows the dirt and bluffs away from the sand. However, in some parts you have decide if walking on sand is worse than bushwacking uphill.

Ben F

@tekhna

Good to know, thanks. Any insight on the weather in late March? Be prepared for rain I assume, although this winter that doesn't seem to be the case.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Lots of rain, high wind, and extreme tides.

The sand is more or less a "medium" – I don't recall any parts where I truly sunk in (stream crossings excluded!) nor any where I floated on top. It's packed, but not as well as you'll want.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

The northern half(Mattole/Shelter Cove section)haas more walking on the marine terrace than the southern half. Keep in mind too that some stretches are fairly sloped towards the ocean. It's an ankle workout for sure. March last year we only had two days without rain. We went in April last year and had the best weather ever. I've also had spectacular weather in January and lousy weather in July. Tides will be higher in spring. But it depends on the phase of the Moon as well. Nice thing about March is that it is early enough in the season that you will have most of it to yourselves. Watch out for bears and more so the raccoons.

Ben F

@tekhna

For the thoughts guys. If there's one thing I had to get used to in California it was that the weather was either perfect, or changing constantly. The microclimates threw me for a loop too.
    It might actually be crowded that week–that's the week the UCs are on spring break.

Ryan Commons

@ryancommons

Locale: Bay Area, California

This is a long video of the entire Lost Coast Trail going North to South: Lost Coast Trail Video

You will see all of the terrain in the video.

Basically, you are hiking on a mix of dry sand that is slow walking, pebbles which are alright, and then large rocks which require (in my opinion) a boot. I almost always hike in running shoes, but on the Lost Coast Trail I was glad I had hiking boots. Hope that helps.

Ryan

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I had no issues doing the north section with a group, wearing my trail runners going nobo. Wear what you normally wear and you should be fine. I've worn my Montrail xc in the Sierra also. An upcoming trip for our group in April, I'll have to decide if I want to go again. Last time, the nobo and the sobo group met the second day out camping together, exchanged car keys and met in town the morning we came out for lunch and get owners keys back.
    Duane

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools