Topic

Storing Cuben shelters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Haven't got much experience with Cuben, except for some stuff sacks. I was wondering if when storing your Cuben shelter, do you fold or stuff? It seems like if you fold, you would get wear lines, and I was wondering if that eventually compromises the strength or waterproofness of the material.

Thanks!

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

I'm interested in this too, I just ordered a Cuban Fiber tarp from The Hammock Gear, I figured I'd just stuff it in a stuff sack.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies
    Eric D.
    BPL Member

@ewdysar

Locale: SoCal

After reading each of the threads that Dan posted, it is obvious that the preferred method of packing cuben items is to fold and roll, or stuff, or fold flat, or…..

Apparently, the material is durable enough to put up with the simple loads encountered in backpacking. Elixer, the 49' sailboat that I occasionally crew on has a single cuben .75 oz spinnaker (I think that it cost $50k or more), we stuff it for storage. We only use it in winds of less than 10kts, but at more than 2500 sq feet, the loads are still much higher than anything that my tents or packs experience (I would estimate the constant load at each corner of the sail to be more than 1000 lbs, the transient shock loads are much higher).

I think that the bottom line is that you can pack your cuben gear any way that you like. The most likely damages will come from using the items.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools