Topic

Passports

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    sam s

@123456789

jr
    just re-read the posts that you replied to (but maybe you did not read well?). first you do not like australian easy visa (you say you object to "every.last.one". then you wtf do. then you flip flop # 3 time and say no special treatment for anyone.

J R

@ravenul

Excuse me? How is saying that everyone should be treated equally – regardless of nationality – in any way a flip flop from the position that I do not think that Australians (or Austrians, or Armenians, or Angolans, or anyone else) should be given preferential treatment? Nor should any of them be treated to discriminatory treatment. What part of equality is not understood?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

The problem Mike, is that NO ID will cure my ills. All that can cure it is a court order-and currently I am spending way too much money on my lawyer for child support that is owed, to pay the lawyer to go to court to have my name stripped from all court documents. I hope in the next year to be able to do this. It will not be cheap either. Currently my fingerprints and notes on the ID theft are on file with the FBI, the state police and the database here in my county. I have both digital and normal prints on file, along with my photos. I have had to present my ID theft paperwork to different people, even the court when handling my child support cases. I have to show I am NOT a criminal.

Ironically the reason my name is connected to the criminal? When I was young I used to carry my SSN card in my purse. My purse was rifled at a party one time in my senior year in HS. She must have taken down the info-and later when arrested for of all things, being a drunken minor, she gave them my name and SSN# as documentation-but the key was she didn't know where I was born, and gave her birthdate and town of birth. She later had run ins with domestic violence (and how did I find this all out? I was applying for a CPL, and got flagged due to the domestic violence convictions!) During the time I found out and when the detectives got done researching the ID theft I couldn't touch any of our guns, and had to make sure my husband had everything, including ammunition locked up, as I was so paranoid. I go shooting often, and couldn't even go to the range with my husband. Once I was cleared, I could again – but I can tell you this: my paperwork is ALWAYS with me. I'd hate to have a cop get scared if they ran my background since I have a CPL and often carry.

As for the Real ID, I was happy to see that Maine is fighting it! http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070126/pl_nm/usa_idcard_dc_1

Honestly, I finally understand my departed paranoid dad's theories (and yes, he was both a religious zealot and believed that you should never trust the government) When I am out doing the laundry, I often talk to him (his ashes sit next to my mom's ashes there) and I know he'd have loved the whole Real ID crud. He'd be packing up and moving back out MT if he was alive.
    I just cannot understand how SO MANY Americans willingly give up their rights without questioning why they need to do it. We need to question why we are being asked to give them up! And to be given real answers.

J R

@ravenul

"As for the Real ID, I was happy to see that Maine is fighting it!"

As is New Hampshire. http://news.com.com/The+Real+ID+rebellion/2010-1028_3-6061578.html

Strong efforts are being made in MT and WY to oppose Real ID as well.

"I just cannot understand how SO MANY Americans willingly give up their rights without questioning why they need to do it. We need to question why we are being asked to give them up! And to be given real answers."

YES!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

YAY! I can only hope our governor stands up to it, she has complained a lot about the cost it is forcing on us as a state.
    Grass roots could make a big difference here!

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

I'm definatley glad to see those states fighting it. If only I was able to relocate to one of THEM!!!!!

Tom

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

Well, I'm not going to argue the political issue but you guys are looking at it all wrong for this forum (General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion in case anyone noticed).

The question is how *heavy* will the new ID or passports be :)

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Gene, you sent me a PM. I received it with much appreciation. I responded with a PM but I think you may not have received it. I suspect that the PM feature doesn't work when the target is a guest user. I know it works member to member. If you received my PM please let me know. Your PM deserves a response and I want to be sure you got it.

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

My son just received his new digital passport. It is the same physical size as my 1999 passport. Side-by-side they felt to be about the same weight. This weekend I will try to get a moment to post weights for each. There is a warning on the back page of the new passport about embedded electronics and that it doesn't tolerate bending or folding.

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

Always good fun to hear/read people from the USA talk about politics. It has given me a good laugh, thanks to all who have contributed.

I wonder how the people of the USA expect to be welcomed in other countries in about 100 years from now, when the levels of the oceans have rissen and many millions of people, living in cities like New York, have become refugees. No more talking of being "free" than.

When you go from one country to another you need a passport. In every part of the world. Some countries even expect you to have a visa. I wonder if you think that buying a visum to enter a coutry is a violation of your "freedom".

Why isn't there a modderator on this forum btw? I like to be able to speak my mind on these fora but when people start to (wrongly) accusing others i'd like someone to step in and urge people to remain a civilised tone.

Again, thanks for the laughs.

Eins

Gene .

@tracker

Locale: New England

Eric, No I did not, but suffice it to say that I can appreciate whatever reasonable reply you sent me. Sometimes a topic gets the best of me, and I post what I'm thinking; rather than what would be PC. I'm a more reasonable person than some of my posts would have you beleive.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Gene, I'm really sorry you didn't receive my PM. Your PM to me was personal and my reply was as well, so I won't post it here. I will post a less personal version that will give you an idea of what I said.

I truly appreciate you sharing with me what you did. I also appreciate you editing your post for what I believe to be the greater good of the forum. I want to commend you for what you have added to the forums. You clearly have a strong desire to help those around you. I've seen it in your forum posts and your life seems to testify that as well. I've said things I regretted as well, no big deal. Its tiny compared to what's been contributed.

A good friend and one time neighbor of mine is in a line of work similar to yours. We talked on occasion about the effect that his job and experiences has had on his view of humanity. He called it a hazard of the job, something he was always battling with. I can only guess that you must fight a similar battle. I may be assuming too much, if so forgive me.

I respect you and would expect nothing less of you than to stand up for your values and your friends. I hope we are on good terms.

Eric

p.s. To the powers that be. Is there a way to fix the PM feature so it works between members and guests. Everything appeared to work but didn't. This is worse than it not working at all. Though I am grateful I received Gene's PM.

Gene .

@tracker

Locale: New England

Eric, I can appreciate the sentiment and just want to contribute to the community here when I have the time, and something constructive to say. Like everyone else, sometimes I need to be corrected on my tone of post. I'm only human, and I'm not always right or polite; and am glad to have folks like yourself call me on it.

I'd be a member here but last year was not exactly my best year. So be it, but it would be nice to be able to connect with folks here when the need arises, like you mentioned in your post.

Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools