Topic

If you could only have one pack Part 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) If you could only have one pack Part 2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

So, thanks for all the replies on the first thread. I was trying to see what there is out there these days,. in a market, that seems to be passed over quite a bit.

Short of old design travel packs from Mei and the like, or 800 dollar custom packs by Mchale, or make your own, there really isn't much out there, specially, if you wear a size large. I couldn't find length dimensions for things like a large Osprey talon 44 or HMG wind rider, so I don't know if what people suggested was for sm, med, or large. It looked like the GG Gorilla size sm and med are 22" or shorter, but the large appears to be 24" tall.

The other thing that might be an important consideration, for people wanting a world travel pack, that is capable of hauling a couple of gallons of water and gear, is going through customs. Personally, I would prefer a panel loader, so I didn't have to have a yard sale every time I went through customs.

It seems to me that with everything getting smaller and lighter these days, that someone would come up with a really well designed carry on sized, panel loading pack, with an internal frame, that is made from durable lightweight fabric and didn't set you back 800 bucks.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Dan McHale's packs are not $800. The SARC series starts below $500 with some VERY capable packs.

Jason Williams

@whiskey

Locale: Middle Tennessee

The Osprey Talon series has an adjustable harness, so if you are under 19" torso, then go s/m, if over 19" go m/l. There are only two sizes.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

I agree with you about panel loaders. That's one reason I have a Mountainsmith ghost .I think you should then search for panel loaders like this one , now unavailable but a common sort of type.
    http://www.rei.com/product/726060/rei-vagabond-20-travel-pack

or this

David Ure

@familyguy

who in the world can only have one pack?

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

McHale LBP 34 +1

Here is a picture of mine;

LBP-34

This brown/grey full dyneema LBP 34 weighs just 2 lbs, 5 oz stripped of it's accessories but still with the kangaroo pocket, twin 7075-T6 stays, and comfortable back pad/vent . It has a volume of 3,000+ cuin. including the kangaroo pocket and carries 30 lbs easily off the shoulders.

Accessories include; two bottle pockets (not shown), two belt packets, one shoulder strap pocket and the summit lid.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"…someone would come up with a really well designed carry on sized, panel loading pack, with an internal frame, that is made from durable lightweight fabric and didn't set you back 800 bucks."

Sounds like you're describing the SMD Traveler with the optional internal hoop.
    http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/packs/Traveler.html

traveler

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW
    dan mchale
    BPL Member

@wildlife

Locale: Cascadia

new recipe soon.

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

In regards to these $800 packs….um why? Is it made of helium that helps an 80lb pack feel like a balloon on your back? Does it stop bullets? I don't see why anyone in their right mind would spend $800 on a backpack.

Oh and for $800, the customer service and warranty better be no questions asked.

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

dan,

i respect your packs and i'm sure they are nice. but… I find your website very hard to navigate or understand and i seriously doubt i could get a clear price in just 2 clicks.

dan mchale
    BPL Member

@wildlife

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

Wow. Not exactly something I thought I would read from someone who owns a company. Very unprofessional.

dan mchale
    BPL Member

@wildlife

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

I might have to navigate my a** to your pot roast. Lighten up big guy. All someone did was give an opinion of your site and you pretty much bashed the person. Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one.

Clint Wayman
    Spectator

@cwayman1

Locale: East Tennessee, US

For the sake of 'keeping things sophisticated', the custom Zimmerbuilt Eugenious pack is probably one of the sexier panel-loaders I've seen in a while. Yes, I know it resembles other commercialy-made PL packs, but don't they all? It's actually still for sale here in the Gear Swap.

dan mchale
    BPL Member

@wildlife

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Relax Paul.. geez you've only been posting for four days here. Are you not familiar with Dan's ways? And I must say you started the hostilities right out of the gate here.

David Ure

@familyguy

This is fun.

diego dean
    BPL Member

@cfionthefly

Clint, that custom zimmerbuilt pack is sweet looking. I'd probably buy it but my waist is at least a 36. Maybe good incentive to lose some weight!

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

High quality workmanship and materials are often a reflection of higher cost.

A full dyneema Mchale pack will cost more then a identical pack made using a less expensive material. This is true with numerous UL backpacking products, a 10.5 oz MLD cuben Trailstar will cost you $335.00 as compared to $170.00 for the 17 oz pro silnylon version.

Many may not be willing to pay the higher cost associated with having gear made using more expensive materials, having the option is a good thing.

dan mchale
    BPL Member

@wildlife

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

My apologies if I offended you Dan. And I apologize for starting c**p. Foot is in mouth.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Haven't zeroed in on any model in particular, but for my mostly 3-season type trips, it would likely be a medium size pack made with dyneema, boasting two easily removable stays, "compactible" for day use, with a front pocket and two hipbelt pockets. Simple and time tested solution.

dan mchale
    BPL Member

@wildlife

You did not offend me Paul. It's cool. I understand this stuff like the ground we walk on. I think people should have fun while they beat on each other too. Too often, people are way too serious, and want to stop a good fight! Have an awesome trip out there.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools