Topic

First pack pictures

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear First pack pictures

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ANTHONY FRANKLIN

@redwood82

Locale: Piedmont of the Carolinas

Heres some cellphone pics of my new pack. It is technically my 2nd pack since I started another and scrapped it for being too large.
    This one is 11" wide, 6.5" deep, and about 20" tall with a 15" roll top closure. Capacity is around 1900 cubic inches. Its 2.2 Silnylon from Oware. It was like $3 / yard since I bought enough to make this pack and a bivy in the future. The webbing came from a craft store, the straps are made with the Silnylon and edges finished in grosgrain, the CCF padding is from an old sleeping pad. So this pack cost less than 20 bucks to make.
    The body

back view, you can see my GG Nightlight pad inside.

Close up of the strap

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Good job but I should warn you. MYOG is VERY addictive. Watch out or next thing you know you'll have a whole closet full of stuff you've made. I gotta admit its a fun addiction though (when usually, when things don't quit fit together right you want to pull your hair out).
    Looks very nice.

Sam Jones

@sam-pangolin

Locale: London, UK

Very nice pack! I'm liking the orange with black trim :) Roll top is looking good too, and the straps are much better than my first attempt.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Very nice. I like the black and orange color combo.

Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

That's a nice and clean looking pack. How well does it carry your load? Do I see correctly that you didn't add a hip belt?

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

Good job on the pack, it looks nice and clean, your shoulder straps look great as well!

ANTHONY FRANKLIN

@redwood82

Thanks for the compliments. I had never used a sewing machine until I attempted my first pack last month (which I resisted the urge to cannibalize for this pack since I think I will finish it in the future to a point where I am happy with it as a 2400 ci pack.

Well, in regards to carrying loads; in the pictures I had it filled with my main gear and some food to represent a 2-3 trip. And I have walked around the house with it loaded up like that and it feels good. I think keeping it narrow, shallow, and tall keeps the weight in close to the body. With the tarp and bivy combo I will be at a 8 pound base or so, with food and water added to that, and I think it will carry that 15-17 pounds comfortably.

Yes, no hip belt! Even with heavier loads in the past I still only alternated using a hipbelt off / on throughout the day and I think with these light loads its not necessary. Most importantly, the foam pad as a frame inside the pack gives it cushion as it hits my back.

Best of all…. this pack weights only 7.48 ounces!! And the roll top closure uses thin strips of plastic cut from a flimsy placemat type thing, fyi. I found a sheet off it at Hobby Lobby for 1.99.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Great little pack design I like the top nylon webbing compression wrap strap and the shaped water bottle pockets. Great job for you first pack and and welcome to the MYOG addiction.
    Terry

Taiga
    BPL Member

@taiga

Awesome, did you use a pattern?

ANTHONY FRANKLIN

@redwood82

Nope, no pattern. I just looked at a lot of other people's packs first.

The idea of making the front / bottom / front panel one continuous piece rather than seperate pieces (to minimize seams at the bottom) was taken from someone here on BL but I can't for the life of me remember.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools