Topic

Kifaru sleeping bags?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Kifaru sleeping bags?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Locale: Central CA

Hello all, I bought a Kifaru "Regulator Slick bag" not too long ago. Before that I was using a Wiggy's overbag (which they say is good by itself to roughly 40 degrees). My new Kifaru bag is 0* rated, and weighs only 2 pounds, 14 ounces, including the stuff sack. This may not sound very light, but I will only use a synthetic bag. Down is not an option for me.

I'm curious, has anyone else tried a Kifaru bag, and if so, how did the temp rating work out? I tend to sleep VERY cold. I'm hoping (optimistically), that this zero degree bag will keep me comfortable to at least 32 degrees. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, so time will tell.

I wasn't sure if the winter hiking section or the "gear" section would be better for this thread. I went with winter hiking simply because it's cold weather that I'm concerned about. ;-)

Thanks in advance for any input.

http://www.kifaru.net/slickbag.html#

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Why did you buy from Kifaru? Was it their reputation? If not for that, I'd really have my concerns that this bag doesn't mention the type of insulation, the loft, CLO or packed size. The specs also seem to have a typo about the weight of the compression bags. I'd like to know more about this bag as the weight is nice for a sleeping bag.

Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Hi Eugene,

The insulation they use is called Combat Climashield, and it is my understanding (but don't quote me), that this is a very similar insulation to the "Lamilite" that Wiggy has used in his bags for many years.

But to answer your question, yes, reputation is what urged me to buy it. I got to know Mel Terkla, the head of Kifaru's military division, many years ago (before he went to work for Kifaru). Mel and the others at the company are stand up people, and hugely respected in the "tactical" and hunting gear world. I've owned a large amount of Kifaru gear over the years, from packs to pouches, etc. Their gear is bomb-proof to a fault. Kifaru recently entered the ultralight market with a few packs and these sleeping bags.

As a side note, I want to make it perfectly clear, I am in no way associated with Kifaru. (Haha) I'm actually a law enforcement officer. I'm simply a very happy customer of theirs, although I have zero experience with their sleeping bags, which is why I'm asking for input.

Oh, PS- The compression sack thing might not be a typo. I Have one and they are EXTREMELY light. It is made of the same parachute type stuff that the sleeping bag is covered in, an almost see-through, plasticky type material.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Climashield is a familiar insulation. It'd go even further if we knew how many layers they used…I think it only comes in one weight, and that wouldn't be warm enough on its own.

The compression sack typo I referred to is that the sacks get lighter for colder bags. I'd think that the compression bag would have to get bigger and heavier for the coldest bags, but it's the other way around. It's not a big deal, but it might be if I wasn't familiar with Kifaru at all.

Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Ah, I see what you mean, and no, that doesn't make sense about the compression sacks, probably a typo. As for layers, when I asked Mel about it the first time I saw the bag I believe it is a layer per 20* cooler…in other words, 1 layer for the 40*, 2 layers for the 20*, and 3 layers for the zero degree, etc. I could be way off, but I believe that's how it was explained to me.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools