Topic

JMT 2012

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists JMT 2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Locale: Northern Rockies

I will be hiking the JMT/SHR this summer with a good friend of mine and thought I would post some of my gear list. This gear list is not complete yet, but please keep in mind that the cooking gear and shelter will be for 2 people. I do not have a 2 person shelter yet for this trip, and I am waiting on the funds for a new pack. I would really like to here all of your suggestions for a shelter and/or a pack. One criteria the shelter needs to meet is that it needs to be bug free.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=6043

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

also I am hiking the trail in early august so minimal snow and good weather (hopefully)!

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

sorry for the layout, try this http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=6043

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

Ok so the biggest thing that jumps out is all of the stuff sacks. I like to think of my pack and food bag as the only 'sacks' I need. If keeping stuff dry is a concern your trash compactor bag should be plenty. If you guys are planning on hiking most of the day I think you could trim back on your insulation – running tights, cap top, and down jacket. You'll have to decide for yourself but I only use wind shirt/pants.

I think a Zpacks twin would be the best $/weight value. But the way this years snow pack is shaping to be (whisper this b/c I don't want to them to have some epic march) bugs may be less of an issue. Also means water might be more of an issue…

Trimmed up Jam would probably do the trick or similar size. I'll be carrying a MLD Prophet for the PCT.

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

ya good call on the stuff sacks. The thing with the insulation is that my friends isnt quite "in shape" enough to push 30 miles a day and hike all day so there will be some downtime. I may trade out my parka for a light vest of some sort also. The stuff sacks are definitely a problem, i found that i can keep the same amount of stuff sacks and lose 4 ounces if i switch to zpacks cuben stuff sacks, so that may be my solution for that. How do you like your prophet? ive heard great things about the new one but havent had a chance to try it out.

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

Its on order and I don't expect it for at least a month. Be happy to show it to you when it gets in — perhaps a RMNP training hike/ski.

Justice Baker
    BPL Member

@jkokbaker

Locale: Central Oregon

I did not see your backpack listed, or a bear canister. I saw socks, but no shoes/boots listed. I compiled my list with what I am going to buy to give the best idea of my weight, plug in the back you expect to get to get the best idea of you weight.

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

So i dont have a pack yet, bear canister, or shelter yet. Im still going back and forth on footwear as well. I was just wondering what people may suggest for the gear that i currently have. Sorry that it isnt yet complete.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

I don't see a big problem with what you have- more some holes:

Bear Can
    Pack (that will be comfortable with a bear can.)
    Mosquito head net. August can be almost bug-free or it can be pure hell.

Your warmth layers may be more than you need. I did JMT Aug08 with only a 100wt fleece (similar to cap 3) I never needed more. I only hiked in it once when I started up Glen Pass at 4:00 AM. But then my trip was dry the whole way through. You could bring just the down or just the cap3 if you're trying to shave weight. OTOH sleep in the Cap3 and use the down as a pillow (cozy!).

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

what would be a good pack that would carry a bear canister? at least from your experience. Ive been interested in the GG gorilla but i havent decided yet.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"what would be a good pack that would carry a bear canister?"

It depends on what size of bear canister you have.

One backpack manufacturer was asked if a Bear Vault 500 would fit a particular backpack, and he answered that a Garcia would fit.

–B.G.–

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools