Topic

Jam2 pictures and details

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Jam2 pictures and details

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Nelson

@stephenn6289

Locale: Sunshine State

EDIT: I wanted to add these also, but was having some technical problems
    IMG_2680
    IMG_2681
    IMG_2682

I was very excited to recieve my jam2 today. I was very pleased with its size, weight, construction, and appearance. Though I obviously have not tested it yet, I hope that these pictures and comments help you. also, this is the palm color
    IMG_2674
    scale reads 1 lb 5.6 oz, not bad for no modifications yet
    IMG_2660
    I very pleased with its size. this it with the extension collar up. very large
    IMG_2658
    top closure in more detail
    IMG_2665
    fully closed
    IMG_2670
    this is what you may not have seen, I hadn't. this is the inside, the part that would be against one's back. a rather useless keychain device, 3 Liter water bladder holder and the removeable foam panel
    IMG_2673
    the foam being removed in more detail
    IMG_2662
    I also really liked the pockets, which were roomy enough for my 2 lb digital slr
    IMG_2663
    back side view
    IMG_2669
    size when fully compressed
    IMG_2668
    bottom view when compressed

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Looks nice indeed! Thanks for posting the pics.

Yeah, why do gearmakers feel like they have to add a key fob in all their packs? Not only is it useless (IMO anyway), but the strip of material can get in the way. Not a fatal flaw obviously, but annoying.

Everything else looks great! Have fun with it!

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Is that a key fob or a clip for a hydration bladder? I've seen mfrs put clips in that spot to prevent bladders from slouching into the pocket…but they usually look a bit different than that…

Sheldon McElhiney
    BPL Member

@mcelhineysc

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I think the key fob is actually used to clip to the top of your hydration bladder, keeping if from slipping to the bottom of the sleeve as its contents are emptied. Some packs use a small clip, others might use a sewn loop of cord or nylon webbing.

Cheers,
    Sheldon

Stephen Nelson

@stephenn6289

I probably wont use it, there isn't a clip on a platy, an extra .1 oz less when I remove it.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I believe it's just a key fob/key clip. Bladder clips or toggles would come in a pair, rather than singly and dangling at the end of a thin, long strip of material.

I think the bladder sleeve does the job of securing the bladder in this pack???

Kevin Denlinger

@ktdenlinger

Locale: Great Lakes Region

Dude,
    I agree, cut it off. 0.1 oz is 0.1 oz especially something that appears useless. Just do it.

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

Man! That's a good looking pack! Makes me almost wish I hadn't already got my Jam…almost :D

Tom

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Anyone care to do a side-by-side comparison between Jam and Jam2?

Michael Bradley

@themadmilkman

How did you take a picture of your camera? Magic? Trickery?

I kid, of course. Thanks for the photos, it helps solidify my decision to purchase this pack as soon as I have the funds.

Gene .

@tracker

Locale: New England

Stephen you could use a simple paper punch to put a hole in the bottom of the Platy for the clip to connect.

I highly doubt that someone with that quality of camera gear would carry it so exposed in the side pocket of a pack IMO.

I don't find the 'expanded volume' of the 'top sleeve' very useful in practice. From my experience with similiar type packs; the upper/expanded portion when filled is very unstable/unsupported and tends to throw the pack off balance IMO. Also, it prevents you from being able to look up, what with the pack hoverin' directly behind your head.

The foam back looks similiar to the one used by Mountain Hardware in their 'Scrambler' summit pack. It's a bear in that pack to take out and reinsert due to it's shape, and the coating on the pack's fabric. I just tried this in a store this past weekend, and it was more of a hassle than the pad would be worth using everyday to me. YMMV because this is a different pack, and I'm not sure of the foam's cut, nor the pack material.

Hideaki Terasawa
    Spectator

@trsw3

Locale: Tokyo

Does anyone know how to put ice axe on to my Jam2?

Karl Keating
    BPL Member

@karlkeating

Stephen:

Which size did you buy, and how tall are you? In the first photo the "hip belt" seems to be a "navel belt."

I like GoLite packs but, having a long torso, I find that most of the models have hip belts that, at best, are waist belts for me. I want a pack's weight to rest on my pelvis, not on my, um, surplusage.

Stephen Nelson

@stephenn6289

I purchased a large, which is supposed to be for torsos seized 20-22. I am 6 ft. and have about a 20 in torso. it is resting on my pelvis in the picture, I just wear my clothes loosely. Thought it does seem to ride up a little while I tested it today, but I tested with my maximum weight for my next trip (24lbs) and it was fine for me. It rode very comfortably and didn't hurt my shoulders at all.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

The most noteable difference is the zipper to the outside pocket. The Jam2 has a waterproof zipper whereas the Jam has a flap covering the a standard zipper, keeping it well covered with a double layer of fabric. The outside shockcord attachment gismo on the Jam2 is only a piece of vertical webbing making a two loop daisey chain on the Jam with a Golite velcro attachment piece, one on both sides. There are two ice axe loops on both packs and compression straps. The Jam does not have the clip and loop system next to the axe loops. That system must help keep the bottom of the pack from riding too low over one's butt when the pack is not full? The inner pocket for the bladder has no key hook. The outside side pockets are a larger holed mesh on the Jam, similar to the mesh on the Breeze. The large outside pocket on the back is not spectra cloth. The outside pocket is not pleated like its sister on the Gust, but there is room above the zipper line, so the pocket is quite spacious. It looks as though the Jam2 has more material on the hip-belt, but that is hard to tell. For me the Jam (size M) was jammed packed full with 5 days of gear food and water, but it worked. As with most packs it is a pain to refill the bladder mid-hike, so I started just laying the bladder on top, sideways in the pack. Works well, though leaning to one side to get water, becomes necessary as bladder gets low. Could only do this with the Jam after most of the food was gone. Having a second 1 liter platypus, kept empty in a side pocket is used when I stop for water mid-hike. Drink a liter and move on. The Jam has a nice daisey chain along the shoulder strap where I attach a small pocket for my digital camera. There is also a small elastic for a water hose to pass through and two label webbing going horizontal. Nothing jumps out from the photos of the Jam2 to make me wish I had one instead of a Jam, but maybe Jam2 has a bit more of a collar and, hence, more volume. The collar on the Jam adds 6" to the height. Thanks for the nice pictures! PS In the photo with the pack on the scale, I noticed what looks like a mesh shoulder strap, the Jam also has lightly padded shoulder straps with mesh.

Ken Ross
    BPL Member

@kr

The black plastic piece that the gray elastic cord runs through is actually a hook. Unhook the cord and lay the shaft of the ice axe between the hook and the elastic cord. Wrap the cord over the top of the ice axe shaft and reattach it to the hook. The hook is a very tight fit, so it takes a little force.

Hideaki Terasawa
    Spectator

@trsw3

Locale: Tokyo

Thank you Ken!
    At first I thought I must put shaft into the hoop. It was like a puzzle ring.
    Now I've understood and can attach a ice axe onto Jam2. It works well.

IMHO,
    I think golite tilted Jam2's hip belt more downward than Jam1. Or due to shape of the Jam2's flared bottom.
    In consequence, I feel Jam2 take a more high-rise position than Jam1.

Stephen Nelson

@stephenn6289

I have noticed that also as I have been hiking these last few days, it seems to ride a bit. I think that this is because the shoulder straps run through the hip belt, but I am not sure. I also don't know what effect this will have over a 20 mile day. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

John Rowling II
    BPL Member

@jrowling

Locale: Great Lakes Area

Stephen,

Did you do any research between the Jam2 and the Pinnacle? I'm from the Great Lakes State of MI and often catch the 3-4 season thing. Just wondering…

John

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

Hey guys!
    Er, I'm chiming in a little late here… I just posted a review of my Jam2 w/ pics, only to see many similar pics here. Sorry!

I did take a look at the Pinnacle, but didn't meaningfully test it out or anything. Basically it appears identical to the Jam2 only w/ more volume, i.e. – I wouldn't expect drastically greater load-carrying capacity. Admittedly I'm picky about pack fit, but so far packweights under 24 lbs are the max I would consider comfortable for really long days. That might put a cramp on your winter kit (I'd be borderline on anything more than a weekender). Others will undoubtably disagree. BPL's Frameless Pack Analysis certainly does, suggesting a 28 lb failure weight for the OLD Jam! I'm sure Will's Rietveld's review of both packs will shed some light.
    Jason

Stephen Nelson

@stephenn6289

Jason said everything I would/could and more.

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

Cool. I like the added compression on the lower sides and at the bottom. Looks like there's some trimming potential there too. I bet you could get it down to 17-18 oz pretty easily. I'm not sure how I like the shoulder straps at first glance. I kind of like the open-weave tops on the old Jam. Definitely worth checking out though. Thanks for all the photos.

-Mark

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

I just noticed that the original Jam Pack is reviewed by Alan Dixon at this website with a nice photo included. ( Find under Reviews, Frameless Backpacks)

Martin Wapelhorst

@maxoblivion

What is the name of the color of this green Jam2? It looks very close to my "Moss" Jam.

Robert McGaughey

@havoc

Locale: North Texas

The green color they are calling Palm

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools