Topic

Where should I invest 250$

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Where should I invest 250$

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=5873
    Here's my winter gear list and it needs some work so please pull it apart and let me know where I should put my money so I dont blow it on usless junk..

also I know that im missing socks, boots and the eats..
    anyway I'm up for sugestions on making my pack a bit lighter as well….. I'm tring to upgrade little by little when I have the funds

Thanks in Advance

William Brown
    Spectator

@matthewbrown

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns

Just took a quick glance. Your sleeping bag and liner almost equal 4 lbs. What about a WM Alpinlite or Versalite, both at 2 lbs, with additional clothing to take it down some degrees? I know it's a little more than your budget, but they are basically generation bags and would cut your sleeping bag weight in half.

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

Yeah man sleeping bags are a killer huge coin… I was thinking bout looking at a used bag.

William Brown
    Spectator

@matthewbrown

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns

Yeah. Just keep your eye out. They pop up on here all the time.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

To paraphrase from a different forum and different hobby, "a quality sleeping bag is the poor man's yacht". A nice WM bag will give you 20 years of use, when properly cared for. And they pop up used, and sometimes links to sales.

steven franchuk

@surf

why not get a light weight butane stove for the shorter summer trips? Also from what I have read the dry duck aren't the most durable. I have seen an 11oz Patagonia rain jacket ( http://www.rei.com/product/796005/patagonia-torrentshell-jacket-mens ). Which would probably be more durable. The reduced weight of the butane stove could make up for the weight gained in the jacket.

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

The stove I have listed is for use at 20° an below.. Summer I use an alky setup or a gram cracker..
    The dry ducks are easily field repairable with the bit if duc tape that I have wrapped around my treking pole

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

So I spent more than my budget picked up a golite jam, revelation x quilt and a cuban fiber light heart solo shelter! All off this wonderful site well except the quilt…. my pack weight is going to drop something crazy..

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

If I had $250 to spend, I'd drop it on a tank of gas, a cheap motel near a mountain, a lift ticket, and a case of beer. Due to the dry winter and me being a new dad, I haven't had the chance for an overnight ski exploration, yet.

I guess getting new gear is okay, but I've never smiled the way I do when screaming down a mountain.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools