Topic

donating used gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Backpacking Light with Scouts donating used gear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Bill Law
    BPL Member

@williamlaw

Locale: SF Bay Area

***** My gear is spoken for. I'll update this if any still needs a home. *****

I have some used gear that I'd just as soon see put to good use rather than try to sell it for a few bucks.

I'm thinking scouts might be able to use it, but had no luck finding a group to donate it to by doing a bit of online searching.

So, if there is anybody out there who can see that some stuff gets put to use, please send me a PM. I'd like to find a local group (I'm in San Jose, CA). Doesn't have to be scouts, either. Boys Club, etc. would be fine.

Items I have to give away include a Kelty Zen tent, a Eureka Solitaire, a TNF synthetic sleeping bag, Golite and REI packs. Plus maybe other odds and ends as I go through my closet.

Bill

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Sent you a PM William.
    I'm a high school teacher (Culver City HS) and faculty sponsor of a student-run outdoor club with an emphasis on cycling, hiking, backpacking, and outdoor ethics/skills. We can always use gear to get kids started. Other members of this site have donated in the past (and a few are currently doing so). I can assure you I can get gear into the hands of teenagers that can use it. I can also provide tax deduction forms for donation to a non-profit (as my HS is public, donations to clubs within it also enjoy non-profit status).

Let me know if this is what you're looking for.

Wherever the gear ends up, thanks for thinking of others.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I can vouch for Craig. The gear will get into the hands of kids who will appreciate it.

I have given a lot of gear to the Boy Scouts over the years, however the past couple of times I go nary a "Thank you." so I don't know if it was appreciated, appropriate or even used.

I give most of my gear to a local charity that I approve of highly. They run a couple thrift stores in my area. Usually I suggest pricing so they can get what it is worth. The organization profits and people who need good used gear get a bargain. Win-win situation IMO.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools