Topic

Ray-Way Quilt Kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Ray-Way Quilt Kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Austin Lowes
    BPL Member

@austinlowes

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with a Ray-Way Quilt Kit. I'm interested in knowing how challenging the quilt is to sew, its warmth, weight, and durability.

Thanks,
    Austin

Ken M
    BPL Member

@kenmoz

Locale: Louisville, Oh

I put together a RayWay quilt in June 2006. After pricing all the materials separately I bought the kit as it was just a few dollars more and came with plans. At that time i think it cost about $70 with shipping. I forget what temp it was rated for but it had 1-3/4 to 2 inch loft. Sewing the outside edge was a bit tricky because you are sewing through two slippery nylon fabrics plus two layers of insulation. You will have scraps after trimming to practice on. I ended up using clothes pins every two inches to hold everything in place.

Warmth: Ok for me down to about 40 deg F with my normal shirt and pants. I have been out at 30 deg (it got colder than anticipated) but had to wear my rain suit and all clothing I had with me but got by ok

Weight: 1#-9oz with silcoat stuff sack. Packs easily into 8 x 17 sack and gets smashed down further inside my pack.

Durability: Holding up well. Still lofts good. Not much else that could fail.

Comment: This quilt has become one of the most used pieces of gear I have. 40 to 70 deg at night it's what gets packed. Also used car camping. It's just downright comfy.

1 of 4
    2 of 4
    3 of 4
    4 of 4

Ken Mozden

John Smith
    BPL Member

@jcar3305

Locale: East of Cascades

I bought my Ray-Way Quilt in 2007. I wanted something that would go into the shoulder seasons so I got the Alpine extra insulation and made the draft blockers a bit bigger.

It was my first quilt and I love it. I have used it down to about 15F (I am a warm sleeper though).

I have since used my experience in making that one to make others with different designs. I think it is a great way to start making a quilt.

I never took pictures of the process of making it but Ken Mozden's pictures reflect my experience as well.

have fun . . . nothing cooler than showing your friends your new home made quilt. Their eyes will turn green with envy.

john the xcar

Taiga
    BPL Member

@taiga

Awesome. I'm thinking about making one, the two person, it's a bit pricey though, especially since I need the tall one. Do you know of any other good kits out there?

Zachary Arnold

@zrarnold

Locale: Southern Spain

I'm actually sewing mine right now. I am making a one person with the alpine insulation and the draft stopper. I am planning on using it for mountaineering and alpine climbing. I have never done any serious sewing and it has not been that difficult. The most difficult part has been dealing with the larger pieces and I do not have a big space to work with. My feet get really cold at night so I am going to use the extra fabric and insulation for some booties.

I am also going to make a two person on after this.

Jean-Francois Fortier
    BPL Member

@jffortier

Locale: Québec

Great work !

Can someone post a picture of this quilt "stuffed" in it's sack ?
    I'd like to have an idea of how big it is before buying
    one. Thanks a lot !

Jay L
    BPL Member

@jjlash

No pictures, but I use this 7×17 stuff sack (with a bit of room to spare) for my 1 person standard insulation RW quilt: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___48208

Peter Sustr
    BPL Member

@czechxpress

Locale: Boulder

Hey Zach,

What was the total weight of the quilt when you were done? I'm getting the one person with the Alpine insulation as well if the weight is right.

Any info would be great.

Thanks!

robert van putten

@bawana

Locale: Planet Bob

My wife made us one recently.

We got the "zip-split" kit with two layers of Alpine insulation, but decided to leave out "zip-split" as it makes the project a whole lot easier!
    Less to go wrong too.
    It is one awfull large quilt but it does pack well.
    My wife carries our quilt and both sleeping pads in a Golite Jam 70. Big, fluffy and light load.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Greetings,

My current project achieves a similar result for $30 and estimated three hours labor so I thought I'd throw this into the mix.

I purchased a USGI patrol bag from Amazon for ~$30 ($14 – $38 listed today). This bag is rated to 30* (printed on the military label.) I've only had it down to ~35-38* without a bivy but never felt a chill so I think the rating is legit. I used it in the military down to 30* but always with a USGI bivy (just wanted to provide full disclosure.)

The weight was 36.5 ozs unmodified. The foot box of this sleeping bag is sewn a couple feet up from the bottom which is what I wanted from a quilt.

It was equipped with a heavy zipper and draft tube so off they came. This extra spacious bag is now 29oz and I still have more material to remove. I believe that this $30 quilt will achieve a 30* rating when I'm done and I'm very hopeful that I'll drop a few to several more ozs from the quilt before I'm through.

All the weights are on my food scale and I haven't had a chance to see how accurate it is. I plan on buying a postal scale or other quality product before I create a final MYOG thread on this project. If anyone has a good scale recommendation I'd appreciate it.

robert van putten

@bawana

Locale: Planet Bob

Ian, that sounds like a pretty durn good idea to me!

Another idea that is easy to make might be a simple "quillow.
    20 years ago, before I knew what a backpacking quilt was my wife made a quillow and although it was quit small I was always amazed at how warm and comfortable it was, because you could stick yer feet inside the "pillow" pocket which kept 'em toasty warm and kept the quilt in place over you.

http://www.capitalquilts.com/freeproject/makeaquillow.pdf

Should be easy to make one, and it could be tapered to reduce the weight. Of course I'd tie it rather than "quilt" it on a sewing machine the way Ray Jardine recomends his quilts be tied, to keep loft.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools