Topic

Weather Sealed M4/3 Olympus OM-D Body Launch date Feb 8

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Weather Sealed M4/3 Olympus OM-D Body Launch date Feb 8

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Feb 8 is the supposed launch date for a weather sealed micro 4/3 body by Olympus – the OM-D model.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/01/17/olympus-om-d-to-be-launched-february-8th/

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Weight is supposed to be around 425g

Other rumored specs:

ISO range: 200 – 25600
    EVF with 610,000 dots
    The built-in flash will have a GN=10 (Guide Number)
    5-axis shake reduction
    Fast AF & 3D tracking

Thanks for posting.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The metal body puts the weight quite high. At 1 pound for the body it is twice as heavy as the lightest models and the weather proof lens is heavier as well although the reach is wider and longer.

I would like a weather sealed plastic body but people associate weight with quality so the high end weater sealed models will all weigh a lot

Ismail Faruqi

@ismailfaruqi

I think the bigger news for us is actually the new 12-50mm lens. It has many outdoor friendly features, such as wide range, 24mm wide angle, lightweight, weatherproof, non-extending zoom, and very close focusing capability. It really hits the sweet spots of jack of all trades outdoor lens. The only reservation is only the sensor behind it lags greatly in DR and noise even bested by Fuji X10… I mean, why carry bigger cameras and lenses when Fuji X10 has better DR and brighter lens?

Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

How do you know the sensor lags? In the previews I've saw there has only been speculation on which sensor it will feature – have you seen otherwise?

Ismail Faruqi

@ismailfaruqi

I meant the current 12mp sensor which is lagging… surely I hope the new sensor bring a real boost in IQ though, because I'm an MFT user :)

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

How I would like to see Olympus enjoy some very real success in the wake of everything that has happened. February is shaking up to be a big camera month, and Olympus could use a big win. As much as Sony has really changed the lanscape (pun intended) of photography in recent years, my sentiment is with Olympus and Fuji.

*Sigh*

Dirk

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Couple of minor "corrections" presuming rumors can be corrected with other rumors.

EVF is 1.44M-dot resolution (VF-2 resolution) and there have been further rumors that it is a different type of EVF than commonly used. A hybrid ala Fuji? I'd be surprised but who knows?

Rear display is 610k OLED, fully articulated. OLED is the important bit, which anybody who's compared one against an LED display will attest. (Already used on the XZ-1 and EP-3.)

16MB sensor, although unknown whether it's the same as in the Lumix G3/GH2/GX1 or something different. Keeping my fingers crossed for integrated PDAF such as the Nikon N1 system, but prepared to be disappointed again. Need it for my 4/3 lenses.

From a usability standpoint I'm expecting enough body controls to make the menu system secondary in the field. If so, this is probably the camera to get me into the µ4/3 fold. The lens selection has matured a lot in the last year, lacking only 4/3 "SHG" grade equivalents, and there are plenty of super compact and light options for a second body when assembling a lightweight kit for long trips.

Cheers,

Rick

Kai Larson
    BPL Member

@kailarson

Perhaps not quite as heavy as previously thought:

http://www.slashgear.com/olympus-om-d-camera-surfaces-in-first-leaked-image-20210255/

"The OM-D is expected to feature a magnesium, weather-sealed body that weighs 373 grams for just te body. It will sport a 16-megapixel sensor optimized for High Dynamic Range, FAST AF, 3D tracking, and a five-axis image stabilizer inside the body. It offers ISO options of 200 up to 25,600, a built-in digital viewfinder with 1.44 million dots resolution, and a 3-inch 610,000 pixel OLED tilting preview screen.

The camera will likely be unveiled at Olympus’ February 8 press event. Olympus recently trademarked the OM-D name and launched an ad campaign highlighting the letters “O” and “M.” The company also has placed a “coming soon” teaser on its website."

I have to say that I am excited about this camera. Looks like a nice upgrade to the E-P2 that I've been using. Olympus has a really nice range of lenses for their m4/3 cameras too, which is a big plus when compared with some of the other mirrorless system cameras.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

If anyone gets their hands on one of these, do let us know – and drop it on your scale, if you would also. Thx.

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

I am also keeping an eye on it to replace my EP2.
    But i hope they release one day an m4/3 equivalent of the 4/3 12-60.

The 12-50 doesnt look that sharp.

http://www.pekkapotka.com/journal/2011/12/30/olympus-mzuiko-12-50mm-f35-63-in-comparison.html

even the m4/3 12mmF2 prime has way softer corners than the 4/3 12-60.

Daniel Bell
    BPL Member

@danbell222

Locale: So. AZ

delete

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'm excited about this camera too, being a long time EPL1 user. I also hope it will have video capabilities that approach the GH2. I'm also very interested in the new Panasonic 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8 m43 zoom lenses that are rumored to come out in 2012 (Oh wait, it is 2012…..c'mon already!).

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Remember that a 12-50mm on a 4/3 is equivalent to a 24-100mm on a 35mm camera.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies
    Brian Austin

@footeab

No time lapse. Grr.

As if that makes a camera, but been looking forward to this as I like to build stuff like airplanes that need documentation and having a camera take a pic every 3 min or 15min is great. Sure wish such a feature would be in the body of a lighter camera.

Grr.

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

Waiting now on the 12-35 too.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools