Topic

Winter Puffy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Winter Puffy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    John Gelack

@jgelack

Locale: North East

What do you use for a Winter puffy for breaks/camp in 0-10 degree temps?

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I would use a Mont Bell Alpinelight Down Parka if I was going to be in 0-10 with a few layers of merino/fleece underneath.

Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

I had been focused on using a layering system based on a MontBell down jacket and inner layers for similar temperatures until I tried the MEC Reflex jacket. Not only is this jacket quite reasonably priced, and built to match the rigors of backpacking, it is also a portable furnace. I'm preparing for a trip where I expect temperatures to regularly be near 0 F or below in the evenings and nights. I had considered using a North Face bag which has never left me cold in 30 or so years of use, but which is bulky and somewhat heavy. With the MEC jacket, I feel comfortable using my Marmut Helium membraine instead, and planning to wear the jacket to bed. Having the jacket will also make getting up in the night MUCH easier. The MEC sewing is just as good as my FF products, in my opinion, and the materials are well thought out. There are 16 ounces of 800 fill down in the large, and 17 ounces in the extra large jacket. The down side is that my large weighs 28.0 oz. Hoewever, for really cold conditions, I'll take the weight for the comfort. I'm now able to keep from going right into my sleeping bag in the evening to keep warm. I sleep quite cold, and generally find that a sleeping bag keeps me comfortable only to a bit above the women's rated comfort level. For instance, my Helium only keeps me comfortable to about 28 F, and this is with a medium weight base layer, and balaclava. However, I am experimenting with using the MEC Reflex combined with FF volant pants, FF down booties and Nunatak balaclava, OR mittens as a sleep system without a sleeping bag down to the mid-20s or 30's. While the individual clothing items might be heavier, I think the lack of sleeping bag might make for a quite interesting shoulder season night. Anyway, if you want lots of warmth, give this jacket a look.
    Jim

Webster Jorgensen
    Spectator

@websterj

Locale: Kansas City

Depends on what you'll be doing.

If you're going to get in your bag fairly soon after hiking, the Alpline Light Down + base, mid may be enough.

If you're going to spend much time sitting around camp before bed, it won't be enough.

In 0 degree temps I would take my Montbell Frostline Parka + UL Down Vest.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

the mec reflex is indeed a value leader at half the price of cottage or mainstream equivalents … and monstrous amounts of down … it is even a down/total weight leader with a ration > 50% and has a UL shell with minimal features … and the killer MEC warranty

glad yr happy with yours …

note … the womens version is on sale for 169$ … a steal for what normally costs 400-500$ at other gear makers

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/ClearanceItems/WomensClothing/PRD~5017-627/mec-reflex-jacket-womens.jsp

John Gelack

@jgelack

How does the sizing run on the Reflex. I notice the largest size it comes in is Xl, normally I'm in a XXL.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

from what i recall john … its runs about the same size as a dead bird or EB FA jacket of the same size and type (belay style puffy)

if yr a XXL, i dont think a XL might work that well … but then im a medium, so who knows

david
    Spectator

@davidvcd

For 169 I'd be happy to get the women's version.
    I was looking at a FF or the EB peak XV (heavier at 36+oz, prices went up) but this..
    Some other items from MEC interests me as well,

19$ shipped, too bad ups/fedex can charge a brokerage fee…

the T3 stretch hoodie (patagonia R1 / eddie bauer FA hangfire hoody equivalent)
    http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/Hoodies/PRD~5016-259/mec-t3-stretch-hoodie-mens.jsp

mec puffy mitts 28
    http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/GlovesMitts/Mitts/PRD~5024-115/mec-puffy-mitts-unisex.jsp

MEC Travel Light Top Loader 26
    http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Packs/Daypacks/PRD~5023-571/mec-travel-light-top-loader.jsp

david
    Spectator

@davidvcd

for synthetic insulation, they have the MEC Tango Belay Parka which I read was pretty good, though they also have on clearance for the women's version (169$) they don't have anymore of the mens'

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

david …

feel free to ask any questions … i have at minimum tried all the gear you mentioned instore … and own and use the T3 non hooded version

you should be able to call up mec and ask what a medium mens would be in the women sizes … just keep in mind that there is less down in the womens and its shaped tighter and for certain … ummmm … attributes

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I wanted the MEC Tango Parka but they didn't have anymore men's. I ordered a women's size large (I am usually a men's medium) and have been very happy with the fit. For that price I would jump on it. Just order one size up if ordering a women's.

John Gelack

@jgelack

Do you think a Skaha Plus w/ some overfill, or Alpine Light down parka combined with another layer, maybe a EX Light jacket or a Micro Puff, keep me comfortable in 0-10 degree temps. I'm kind of limited because I need a XXL size. Thanks John

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools