Topic

JMT 2012 Gear List,

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists JMT 2012 Gear List,

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Justice Baker
    BPL Member

@jkokbaker

Locale: Central Oregon

The kind I was speaking of will not wrap around a branch, different tripod, here is the tripod I was talking about:

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

All of the Ultrapod tripods that I have ever seen have a small velcro strap that allows them to be wrapped onto a small tree branch as well as standing upright on three legs. I have two of them.

But, to get a shot of yourself on the trail, you probably want something that will get the camera up to three or feet off the ground.

–B.G.–

Justice Baker
    BPL Member

@jkokbaker

I thought that Velcro strap was just there to hold the legs together when closed, I learned something new, thanks. I thought maybe you were referring to a GorillaPod with the bendy legs that you can wrap around things.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

The velcro strap is supposed to hold the legs together when collapsed. However, you could trim it off if that is all it did. You can wrap it around a slender tree branch, assuming that your camera is fairly lightweight. I saw one guy who removed the standard strap and added in his own strap that was much longer.

I had to abandon all those sorts of tricks when I moved up to heavier cameras and lenses.

–B.G.–

Justice Baker
    BPL Member

@jkokbaker

My camera and lens weigh about 3 & 1/2 to 4 pounds, I may have to try something different also.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I have a standard Canon DSLR, so I understand the weight.

The other problem is that some people use a camera like that on a tripod, but they try to use a heavy lens without a tripod collar, so they have to screw the head of the tripod into the body, which leaves the heavy lens tipping it all down in front.

The good news is that you don't normally need to use a tripod in a hurry, so you can leave it stuck into a rear pocket on the pack. If you see wildlife, you need to shoot in a hurry, but you can't very well use a tripod for that (unless it is a desert tortoise or something).

I just replaced one item of camera gear (holster/case) with another brand, and I saved 12 ounces.

–B.G.–

Peter James
    BPL Member

@pbjames

Locale: High Sierra

It all comes down to how much image quality you don't mind sacrificing for lower weight. There is no replacement for sensor size, and a full-frame camera is going to produce better results than any of the new mirrorless camera systems on the market. The Sony NEX-7 is getting closer, but the lens selection sucks. The Fuji XPro1 looks very promising indeed, but isn't out yet, and is the heaviest of the mirrorless crowd.

Of course, the real weight isn't in the camera itself, but the lenses and proper support needed for the best results. My standard hiking/backpacking tripod is an Induro C-013 with Joby Ballhead-X (the lightest Arca-Swiss compatible ballhead I've seen). It does very well with a D700 and lenses under 3lbs. As spartan as that setup is compared to a more serious tripod, it still weighs in at about a kilo.

Of course, for me, photography is a primary objective of many outings, so I'd rather just deal with the necessary weight, than compromise the results. If that means I need 10lbs of photo gear to accomplish my goals, so be it, I will bear it.

gunther kirsch

@goonch92

Locale: Northern California

bringing the exact same tripob. just with an rei logo on it… i always wondered what that velcro was for! good info! anyway yeah a heavy lens is brutal on that little thing but i find if you rearrange the head it works just fine.

Are you SOBO? and when are you heading out?

Justice Baker
    BPL Member

@jkokbaker

I have a permit for July 31 leaving Happy Isles, what day do you depart?

gunther kirsch

@goonch92

Locale: Northern California

well i applied for permits twice and each time they sent me to tuolomne soooooooo… I'm showing up on July 15 at happy isles to get a walk-in permit (giving myself a two day lee-way) and heading out around the 17th. I've been told i'll be fine, so thats what I'm hoping on. taking about 22 days i think, maybe more if i want to take some off days, should be great!

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools