Topic

Winter Middle layer for Backpacking/skiing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Winter Middle layer for Backpacking/skiing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Oh man, if you're new to this site you're in for a trip.

I had just started backpacking and was curious about Make Your Own Gear to save some money on equipment when I stumbled on BPL. Yeah, I'm hooked. The amount of information on the forums and in the articles is impressive. There are a lot of engineer types on this site to perform pretty rigorous experiments on gear. Just look at some of Richard Nisley's and Roger Caffin's posts on water proof products or insulation value of gear.

The information can be daunting at first, but if you just keep chipping away at the old forum posts you'll make it through the learning curve.

greg jenkins

@ocpik4chu

Locale: CO, Rockies

I debated posting back in this thread since it has been a while but I did want to say that I was able to put the jacket to the test recently (including this last weekend) and I loved it, worked perfectly under my ski jacket for warmth around camp and even during the day around the camp during low/no activity Temps during the night were <10 and during the day stayed under 20 with light snow and moderate wind the whole time. I stayed just a perfect temperature. The only issue came in the night, which told me two things, 1) need more on the bottom half but not too much. 2) my sleeping bag, isn't anywhere close to being even a 30' bag anymore lol, not by a long shot…

So just throwing out another thank you to those who contributed to this thread before. And hopefully this isn't too much of a 'necro post':)

Ed Hayes

@ejhayes

Locale: Northwest

LIke Chris, I also use a MHW Monkeyman fleece under my snowboard shell. This fleece breathes very well. I also have a nano puff as a mid-layer too. I find the Nano Puff gets very warm when exercising.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools