Topic

UL stowable backpack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear UL stowable backpack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Whitney

@walkson2wheels

Ok, I'm really not sure how to even define this, and google searches don't seem to help. What I'm looking for (and I'm assuming I'll have to make it, which is why I'm posting here) is a lightweight backpack that packs down really small and can be stuffed away in another bag. The intended purpose is for overflow storage on a UL bicycle setup. Sort of a backup if you need to stock up on more food than you might normally need to for a long stretch. So Ideally, I'm thinking something with a wide strap/harness arrangement with maybe 8-10 liters of storage.

Any ideas? Links?

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

REI Flash 18 or Marmot Kompressor?

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Also,

(1) Patagonia Lightweight Travel Pack (pricey at $80):
    http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/lightweight-travel-pack?p=48817-0-804

(2) REI Stuff Travel Pack:
    http://www.rei.com/product/809163/rei-stuff-travel-pack

ANTHONY FRANKLIN

@redwood82

Locale: Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Much bigger than you are looking for. I have used it as carry on luggage, on day hikes, and sometimes pack it in my suitcase on business trips where I can use it for quick little trips, either a day hike or a quick overnighter.

dsc00636

DSC00625

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Jonathan,

Here's a myog version that can be easily taken apart and stowed. It fits into a bag about the size of a tent pole bag. Much bigger than you need.

here

Daryl

Conner D

@cdipaolo

Locale: SoCal

I have a Sea to Summit stowable silnylon pack that weighs 2.5 oz (my scales) and is a pretty small volume. should be perfect for your purposes.

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/86

Tom Watkins
    BPL Member

@watkins

I also have the sea to summit, it's ideal for me…fits in a jacket pocket.
    It's not exactly the strongest but for light items it's great. I can put a fleece or similar in the bottom and then some water and a snack above.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Here's a small, "packable pack" from Eddie Bauer (1036 cu. in. claimed) with a lot of features (two mesh bottle pockets, zipper exterior pocket, interior pocket, and bungees on front) —

http://tinyurl.com/Packable-Pack

The above pack is fully priced at $29 currently (sometimes it's on sale for less than $20). Its features differ a bit from the REI Flash (including "flashier" color options — UGH!), but both have a lot of good reviews. I'd probably go for the REI Flash at its sale price.

But then I already have too many small packs!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I have the same one as Nick's, except in a different color.

–B.G.–

Jonathan Whitney

@walkson2wheels

Well, aren't I silly? I knew what I wanted had to exist, but my searches just weren't coming up with anything good.

I think the sea to summit pretty much nails it. The other ones are great, and I like the Marmot Kompressor, but for packability, the Sea to Summit wins. It will spend more time packed away than in use.

Thanks all for the great suggestions! If a mod wants to move this to the gear section, that would be fine.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Arc'teryx Cierzo 35 is the most durable of the stowable packs it stores in it own lid and weighs only 20 oz.. I tried out one for few days and returned it because of lack of pockets on the sides for my 1 liter platys,I also could not get all of my equipment in it for weekend trip.It is a great day pack that will last.

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Packs/Cierzo-35

You could also make a simple draw string closing pack that folds in to a inside pocket yourself.
    Terry

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest
    J M

@sulhopeful

Outdoor Products Packable Daypack
    14.9L
    3.2L
    $15
    Only downside is that it has horrid shoulder straps.
    Sold at Walmart or possibly REI.

Youtube Review

REI OP Packable Daypack

At Walmart

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools