Topic

NEGTG2 – Glastenbury Mt – 2012-01-13 – 15

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports NEGTG2 – Glastenbury Mt – 2012-01-13 – 15

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

Oh, that must be somebody else you see over there. I was there on Monday ;)

Mark Primack
    BPL Member

@bufa

Locale: Cape Cod and Northern Newfoundland

Actually, it was Monday. Confused by having the day off. When I zoomed in at full resolution, there was a black speck–I'm sure it was you!

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

Haha. In that case it must have been me. Great day for a walk, indeed.

dreamer
    BPL Member

@ejcfree

Now that's squeaky cold. It looks like the warm comraderie did you well. I love some of those shots from the tower overlooking the frozen forest. I'm sad (well maybe not totally) to say that the holes in my winter kit are big enough to run a herd of Yeti (or at least a half dozen near frozen NEBPLers) through. Perhaps I'll see you in April. October was pleasant. Have fun out there and don't lose any toes. You'll want them later. Eric

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

Just found this trip report – thanks Steve – and wanted to add my two cents regarding this fun little winter experience.

1) Regarding the bag – I did sweat it out the first night (my WM Caribou 35*) that was layered over a EMS Mountain Light 20* both of which where inside my MLD Superlight Bivy under my DuoMid. VBL's seem to be where it is at, so I'll be trying a WM HotSack along with a WM Kodiak MF 0* for my next cold weather jaunt. All in all it worked out fine, but learned a ton.

2) Props to Ryan and Clint for sharing the brunt of the trail breaking with me. That was a lot harder going up Glastenbury in the snow that it was during my thru in like 80* heat and flies. Each season has their own special something to offer.

3) WHAT A GREAT GROUP!! I was a bit nervous about this trip, never having camped in winter like this, and never below 0* before. The group experience level really helped boost my confidence and absorb a bunch of useful tips for my next snow filled outing. Big thanks to Ryan for his Water boiling for most of the group! Bryce was a beast in his own right for putting up with that nasty heel blister for the whole second day's hike back to the car — and BIG THANKS TO BRYCE FOR THE PIZZA IN BENNINGTON !!

All in all it was hard, but we got some great views and even better stories to tell. Looking forward to the next one !! Hello Presidential Traverse !!

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

For the Presidential traverse? I dunno, but the mention of that range makes me shakes in my booties. Is it as hard or harder than what we just did? Is there a BPL thread on it already?

Bryce <- has most of his skin back, but still can't wear rigid heeled shoes.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston
    tommy d

@vinovampire

Great trip report and pictures, guys! It sounds like you really hit a cold patch, but those pictures were wonderful! I'm bummed that I missed the fun, but I was out of the country for a couple weeks and did a little hiking in a MUCH warmer location.

That said, this discussion of a Presidential Traverse got my ears tingling. Are you thinking summer or winter? I was just on the summit of Mt Washington on Saturday with a team from another forum. It was an awesome trip.

Photobucket
    Summit of Mt Washington, January 28, 2012

Photobucket
    Lions Head Trail to summit of Mt Washington, January 28, 2012

I think a winter presi traverse might be a tad too much, BUT I'm interested a winter BPL trip to the White Mountains or Northern Green Mountains (Mansfield, Stark, etc) or a summer traverse.

Good work, gentlemen!

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

I'd prefer as a winter hike. I've already done most of it during the summer. Though I guess I could be convinced to do it again in the summer =P

I definitely need to do another winter trip.

I really need to get myself a white gas stove…

tommy d

@vinovampire

Have you ever read this trip report in AMC Outdoors of a successful winter presi traverse (WPT)? It's a pretty good read.

http://www.outdoors.org/publications/outdoors/2006/winter-presidential-traverse.cfm

A WPT does sound pretty intriguing and potentially fun. It would require a pretty solid degree of physical fitness and preparedness. It's no easy task going 18-miles in the White Mountains with 11 miles of it above treeline. In addition to preparedness, there would be a healthy amount of good fortune needed with the weather.

Honestly, I'd be game for a trip to do the Madison and Adams summits or Washington again in February, but I think that a winter traverse would be too much without having taken a few more achievable trips with the BPL group.

Photobucket
    Northern Presidential Range from Mt Washington, January 2012

Bryce – Since you asked, a winter Presi Traverse would (most likely) be significantly harder than a trip below the treeline of equal distance. It would require mountaineering skills and would face significant weather challenges. For example, I would say that we had relatively good weather and still experienced rain, sleet, snow, and wind-blown snow. Also, overnight the winds on the summit reached 120+ mph, although they had receded to about 55 mph when we hit the summit. I'm not saying it's impossible or that you shouldn't consider such a trip, but it would be more challenging in all likelihood.

Again, I'll just mention that given the right dates and group, I'd be interested discussing and planning a potential winter summit in the White Mountains.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

yea, the Presi may be best for a future date after further skills and proper gear has been acquired.

so we should find a more appropriate outing.

tommy d

@vinovampire

I think a good option would be doing a winter summit of Mt Madison, with an overnight at the Valley Way Campsite. We could hike up to the campsite, setup camp, and then hit the summit in the morning. At that point, depending on the weather, we could either cross over to Mt John Quincy Adams or head down. I think that would be a perfect trip to test our skills and equipment, prior to a full traverse.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Tommy, I created a thread for GTG#3 Could you post this there to keep better track?

I like the suggestion. It's similar to what we did at Glastenbury and that worked out well.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Great report and discussion.

Some good stuff about the importance of VPL.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools