Topic

MLD DuoMid vs LocusGear Khufu

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD DuoMid vs LocusGear Khufu

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Locale: Germany

I'm looking for a new closed shelter for future trips. The MLD DuoMid and the LocusGear Khufu are in my immediate choice. Meanwhile I had the chance to have a closer look at the DuoMid and in my opinion it is a bit short for me. I'm 5.9' tall and the DuoMid was fairly close.

Now my question. Is the LocusGear Khufu bigger than the DuoMid?? Are the sidewalls of the Khufu steeper or at the same angle as in the Duo. How is the processing of the Khufu.
    Questions about questions. Hope you guys can help me.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

MLD builds to order and so I think you could customize to make a duomid slightly longer.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I'm 5'10", and have been happily using my Duomid for a few years.

David Ure

@familyguy

I'm 6'1" and found it just fine if not using a long, high loft sleeping bag. Otherwise I would just touch the ends of the DuoMid. If the fabric sags, you will touch.

However, you can use an inverted V set up with poles and then sleep at an angle. You would have a ton of length doing that.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I'm 6' and have only used it in the inverted V setup and have plenty o'room :) summer or winter

Sergiy Sosnytskiy
    BPL Member

@ssv310

Locale: Ukraine

From manufacturers' specs Khufu is a bit shorter, a bit wider, and a bit lower than Duomid. (I've used google to convert feet to centimeters).

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Thanks for your comments. Anyone here who is using a Khufu??

Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

Check out Bear Paw's pyramid style tent. If I remember correctly they were a touch bigger than the Duomid.

FYI: I own a Duomid and I am 5'9" and it is plenty big for me.

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Think the Pear Paw is not really an alternative for me.
    A review of the Khufu would help me with my decision, but their is nothing in the world wide web.

Lucas Meserve
    BPL Member

@lmeserve

Locale: East Coast Aus (Formerly PNW)

I'm sure you have either found this or bought something by now: http://hikinginfinland.com/2013/02/locus-gear-khufu-sil-review.html

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Thanks for the link, but meanwhile I'm a happy owner of a Locus Gear Khufu Sil Shelter since over a year.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Do you mind expanding on your enjoyment of the Khufu after some good use? I for one would be interested in further perspectives of the shelter.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I was able to set up my new Khufu Sil for the first time yesterday. Here's the 1st pitch, in Alpine Green color. I set it up with one center pole (set at approx. 130mm). I'm 5'10" and had room at both ends, even though I had not guyed out the head/foot ends. This was just lying on the ground without a sleeping pad or bag. Sorry I can't offer more concrete info about the fit.

Khufu Sil

Edit: Barefoot Jake has a trip report in the Olympics just last week, using a yellow Sil Khufu with sustained rain. Here:

http://www.barefootjake.com/

In the post "Forgotten Trail of the Elwha"

Also, I did buy the DPTE attachment for using two poles, but haven't used it yet.

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

@Clayton
    is there someting special you wanna know?
    planning my re viewfor the end of the next month.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I'm curious what the Khufu has to offer over the Duomid?- looks like the Khufu is ~ $60 more than the Duomid (if I did the exchange rate correctly)

the specs look very, very close to me

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

I had both the cuben khufu and the cubin duomid. I decided I liked the duomid more because the MLD Duomid is more rugged, for example the seam sealing tape is wider, it may not be as immaculate stitched but the reinforcements are larger, stronger. The knufu is beautiful but the duomid beats it on function in the long run is my bet. I'll never know for sure, I sold the knufu. Also the knufu had more seams that could eventually leak. I'm 5'11" and both shelters worked for me as far as size. The silnylon khufu is a different beast, silnylon is tough but as far as cubin pyramids I decided I like the duomid. I use two poles in the duomid and have plenty of room and I think that setup makes it stronger in the wind.

kxx

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools