Topic

Panfish pole?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Panfish pole?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tyler Alderson

@bigsciota

Does anyone have experience with the Cabela's Telescoping Panfish Pole? Seems inexpensive, light, and packable, and it removes the problem of having your reel break or otherwise malfunction (less moving parts=less hassle, I've found). But besides a few times when I was little and tied a bit of line and a hook to a stick and caught absolutely nothing, I've only fished with things with reels, whether it be fly fishing or spinning.

What's the technique to a pole like this. I know there's Tenkara, which is like fly fishing without the reel, but this does not seem to be one of those poles. Do you just plop it in the water and hope something bites?

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

sounds like a telescoping cane pole. make the line the same length as the pole (directions on the website say this) Then basically flick the bait/lure out. either sideways like a wrecking ball or flick it under/backhand like you're pitching a jig.

it's about as simple as you can get fishing so i bet you can figure it out once you have it in your hand. light-ish line and small hooks for small fish. 6-8lb test mono should be fine. could bring a few flies or just look for bugs/worms around the water.

if you are going to eat them then remember to bring a good fillet knife so you don't shred the thing to bits with a normal pocket knife.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

First, it's nothing like a Tenkara pole – it simply isn't designed for it.

Second, the tip sections are extremely fragile. Look at it cross-eyed, and it will break. I wouldn't recommend anything heavier than 4 lb line.

Third, it's best use to toss and soak some sort of "natural" bait – worms, minnows, or Berkeley scent bait. Either set up with a bobber with a light weight (split shot) and then a hook at the bottom, or lose the bobber and just do the light weight and hook.

Finally, this type of rig can be amazingly successful at catching fish. While it's not regarded very highly in the USA, European anglers have some very sophisticated rigs using this type of pole.

Good luck!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools