Topic

Big Agnes Copper Spur UL4

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Big Agnes Copper Spur UL4

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

Ok, I am planning a 3 night trip to Colorado with a friend summer 2012 and am trying to get the shelter thing figured out ahead of time. This will be his first true backpacking trip, so I think we need to go with a traditional double walled tent to simplify things and give him some sense of comfort. If it was just me, I would bring a tarp or mid, but we are not traveling more than 5-6 miles per day, so the weight is not as much of an issue as comfort is. I do have a new Copper Spur UL4 that I have only set up in the basement a few times. It seems like a nice overall tent. We will possibly be camping at or above tree line several nights, so my main concern is wind worthiness. When testing out the Copper Spur in the very harsh conditions of my basement, it seems that it is rather easy to push on one pole and make it shift considerably. This leads me to think that it might not be the best to use if there is a possibility of high winds. I do like that the solid fabric on the walls extends ½ way up, and I don’t have any concern about waterproofness, just wind stability.

Has anyone used a Copper Spur UL4 in high winds? Doing a search finds some that think it will be ok and some that don’t.

Or should I just sell the copper spur ul4 and use the 1 pound heavier Sierra Designs Lightning XT4 I have also? This in my opinion could handle winds a lot better than the copper spur.

I know we don’t need a 4 man tent, but this is all about comfort for his first trip so he doesn’t get put off by this whole backpacking mess.

Thanks

Ben

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

Hi Ben, I know this isn't apples-to-apples, but I had my Copper Spur 2 in a storm last year with 30+ mph winds and rain, not a drop made it inside and the tent had no problem with the wind. We knew the storm was coming and staked out the extra guy lines (don't usually) to separate stakes and it was rock solid. I'd expect the CS4 to perform the same.

William Brown
    Spectator

@matthewbrown

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns

Ben. I have had my BACSUL4 in 40 mph winds on top of Mt. Rogers. It may have leaned 6 inches to the left or right, but it was never enough to warrant any concern.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

That is good news. Sounds like it should be fine.

Thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools