Topic

AT SUL Thru Gear List on $1200

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear AT SUL Thru Gear List on $1200

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    J M

@sulhopeful

Hello,

I am planning a thru-hike starting March 15, 2012 northbound on the Appalachian Trail. Most of the gear that I already have is too heavy or has been discarded. So I am trying to build either an ultralight or super ultralight gear list for my thru hike, however I am on a budget and am having some major trouble staying on budget. Here is my list on GearGrams:

My AT Gear List

It is a little extensive, sorry. If you could take a look at my complete list that would be great, as I am also looking to get rid of items to get a base weight below 8 pounds or find lighter and cheaper alternatives. If not see the next paragraph.

The main items that I would love to cut the cost on or would like to find an alternative are the following:

Description Weight(oz.) E[Price]

Zpacks Exo; 15.2; 326; options included
    Zpacks Hexamid Solo Plus; 9.9; 380
    Zpacks Groundsheet Poncho; 5; 145
    Zpacks 20* Bag Overfilled; 21; 372
    Pacific Out Eq. Peak Elite AC; 14; 75; heavy
    Gossamer Gear LT4; 7.2; 160
    Starter Tee; 6.5; 10; heavy, alternative?
    Starter Shorts; 5; 12; heavy, alternative?
    Starter Wind Pants; 9; 16; heavy, alternative?
    Montbell Tachyon Anorak; 3.2; 65
    Montbell Ex Light Down Jacket; 6.5; 190

Again if you could look at my complete list that would be awesome. Sorry if it seems like I am trying to pawn off responsibilities, but I need to buy my gear soon and between this and graduate school applications I am unable to find the time to continue searching for gear.

I would love to make my own gear, but I do not simply think that I would have the time if the project would even me mildly time consuming.

Thank You,
    SULhopeful

J M

@sulhopeful

I have no idea how this was posted to the wrong sub-forum, could someone move this to the Gear List forum.

Thanks

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

The quickest way to move this would be to do it yourself. I have a few suggestions, but can't PM you. Once this gets moved, I some suggestions, especially with the price of things.

J M

@sulhopeful

Thank You Chris for your reply. I can not seem to move the post. I am a new member maybe that is why.

Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

I move my own threads by just copying then pasting.

J M

@sulhopeful

Thanks D Johnson for your reply. I think I might have to do that. The reason I have not yet is because it is generally against forum rules, and at some forums can lead to getting banned.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Your query was in fact relevant to MYOG.
    And the answer is NO, MYOG is not simply mildly time consuming. Just the opposite.

seth mcalister
    BPL Member

@sethmcalister

Locale: New England

What about exchanging the Zpacks Exo for the the Zpacks Blast? If you're going UL or SUL then you shouldn't need the frame. You'll save about 7 ozs. and about $80. You could choose to become a hanger which would allow you to not go with the Hexamid or the groundsheet poncho. You would be able to pick up the Grand Trunk Nano 7, whoopie slings, tree straps and the Zpacks hammock tarp for $400 (or thereabouts) and be at the same weight.

You can pick up a Driducks set and make the bottoms into a rain skirt. That will save money and weight. Pick up some military shorts and tights. I cut my shorts down to where they weight about 3.7 ozs. I have an ems shirt that I cut down to 3.5 ozs.

I've looked at the Zpacks bag but can't swallow the price. You could pick up a the epiphany apex from Tim at enlightened equipment. The quilt is good to about 25, will be better with moisture and is 3.5 ozs. lighter and about $130 cheaper. Even though it's not quite as warm, you should be okay with the down jacket.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools