Topic

Simple Trekking Pole Monopod

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Simple Trekking Pole Monopod

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

Here's a simple solution for mounting your camera on your hiking pole to use it as a monopod while you're out on the trail. I have a short video posted on my blog Here:

lightpack.blogspot.com: Simple Trekking Pole Monopod

Here are a few still shots for this forum:

Monopod 1

Monopod 2

Don Meredith
    lightpack.blogspot.com

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Nice idea Don. Lighter and easier than adding the 1/4-20 threaded stud and then needing to find a cap for it. I would also work with a Ponderosa pine branch for those of us who don't use hiking poles.

Another option (to save the weight of the rubber band – hah!), is if your headlamp strap has some stretch to it. If so, it's probably tougher and less prone to UV degradation than the rubber band. Stretch it snug and if you have extra length, wrap a few more times around the pole above the camera.

Harald Hope
    Spectator

@hhope

Locale: East Bay

so simple, yet practical. I was trying to figure out some elegant yet overly engineered way to add a camera mount to my trekking pole, and failing to come up with something satisfying, put the idea on the back burner. This is a nice fix, and a clean idea, if the camera view finder works, worth a look.

I think I'd go with either a strong hair ribbon or sewn elastic instead of the rubber band, they always end up breaking on me. But the idea is what counts.

Maybe two thick hair ribbons tied together? Let me give that a try, I'll report back.

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

Yeah, I've been fiddling with all sorts of ideas as well. All I needed was Oxycontin and sleep deprivation to pare it down to a simple solution. :D This definitely isn't the most ideal but its cheap, simple and practically weightless. Maybe I should start selling them! I'll need some start-up funds… Kickstarter here I come!

DM

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Don, what a great simple idea.

David, I tried the headlamp and it worked, nice multi-use idea. here are some bad pictures from my phone of the camera/headlamp. The pictures could have been better but I haven't figured out how to get the camera to take a picture of itself (yes I could have used the mirror but I can't hold 2 mirrors to do the back and take the picture at the same time).

You have to make sure to have the strap adjusted before putting the camera on the pole or have excellent finger dexterity. Trying to hold everything in place while adjusting the strap isn't the easiest thing to do.

Petzl on pole1

To see the viewfinder/screen you have to look at it from the side, but it is doable Pezl on pole2

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools