Topic

Solo backpacking as epistemic suicide

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Solo backpacking as epistemic suicide

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Fact: Glacier, at least on the Pacific side, has a stunning lack of snow. I did a 40+ mile loop Friday-Saturday without skis or snowshoes (but with crampons).

Thesis: If existence as such is defined intersubjectively (in the post-Derridian world), than solo backcountry travel is an especially effective and absurd way of establishing ones identity.

Evidence: http://bedrockandparadox.com/2012/01/09/prematurely-seeking-death/

Gear:
    Shangrila2
    WM Ultralite
    Ridgerest Sola'
    DAS/Micropuff pants
    Bushbuddy/Firelite 900
    MYOG 'race' pack
    MYOG poles
    Camp Magix 10
    Cap 2 ups and downs
    French Roast pants
    Boreas pull-on
    Litespeed jacket
    etc

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

But did you have fun?

Or did you forget your novel, and only bring a thesaurus?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Dave,

Normally I truly enjoy your trip reports and stories. I also enjoy hiking solo, which I do most of the time. Now I am truly confused. Do I need a need a new camera, or listen to Death and the Maiden?

;-)

Nick Brown

@ojsglove

Locale: Highland Park

Thanks David. Interesting thoughts and nice photography. Gives the sense you are in a good place, getting after "it". Traction towards whatever that is for you.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Shouldn't this be in Chaff?

Cheers

Mark Primack
    BPL Member

@bufa

Locale: Cape Cod and Northern Newfoundland

Screw the philosophizing–beautiful pics. I too love solo hiking in the winter–except when post-holing. My family gave me a PLB last year, and while it won't save me if I slip over a cliff capped by slippery moss, if its a mere ankle break, it might help. I've worked so hard to get in shape to get up the mountains that I actually don't want to die out there, as that would end my adventures and the possibility of maybe heading back to Alaska.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

A few years I resolved, as an experiment, to not bring reading material on backpacking trips for the whole year. Now I never do, and am better able to just sit and appreciate as a result. And it's lighter.

James Castleberry

@winterland76

Good article and photos. Pushing boundaries and facing death. No fu**in' around. First Kierkegaard, now Derrida. Never heard of either of these cats but trying to follow up and at least grasp their key points. I've probably spent too much time with Terance McKenna and Timothy Leary, or current philosophers such as Neil Kramer who incorporate the psychedelic experience into their philosophy. Lot to be said for facing the possibility of death as a learning experience. I'll take solo backpacking over warfare or cage fighting.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Many, many years ago I brought reading material and it never was utilized, so I lightened my pack of it forever.

Leslie Thurston

@lesler

Locale: right here, right now

david, clearly there's a unique depth to your experiences that ultimately reflects an uncanny kinship with the natural world. reading material in hand, or not, the photos serene, your observations profound, i found the thread entirely inspiring and enlightening. WORD.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools