Topic

Knee length Mountain Cagoule

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Knee length Mountain Cagoule

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Teaser….
    barefeet

Nicholas Martin

@namaniac

Locale: SoCal-High Desert

….where are your shoes?

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

FINALLY! Thanks for seeing the necessity of a knee-length cagoule, which I've been searching for for years! So much so that I've very often considered just making my own. I still think cagoules are the most versatile rain gear you can use in the mountains. But they have to be sized right and be the right length. Is the hem of your cagoule wide enough so that you can tuck your knees into them when sitting down on the ground?

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

>Is the hem of your cagoule wide enough so that you can tuck your knees into them when sitting down on the ground?
    Certainly. But this one is made from supplex. Not waterproof, but good wind resistance and very quick drying. This makes them even more versatile.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

I guess if you use it as a "wind tunic" then maybe it is versatile as a wind layer, but how is it "more" versatile? How would a longer wind layer be more versatile?

What do you do for a rain shell? Where I live going without a rain layer would be suicide in all but the hottest weather, when getting wet isn't dangerous.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

non-waterproof cagoule with hood=puzzled look.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

>I guess if you use it as a "wind tunic" then maybe it is versatile as a wind layer, but how is it "more" versatile?

it is more versatile in the sense that supplex allows you to remain comfortable in extremely wide range of condition. This is my go to clothing in summer. It is cooler then wearing shorts plus a shirt because of the amazing ventilation. I have worn this on glaciers and upto 18000 feet during my expedition in june. A single layer kept me warm and cool most of the time so I never sweated much. On summit day I was warm with just a thin fleece Inside. Which is just fantastic. We had a snow storm and and supplex worked very well. I did treat it with DWR.

>How would a longer wind layer be more versatile?
    Once you put on your harness, it is difficult to remove layers from your leg if it get warm. Long wind layer allows greater flexibility. On my expededition I didn't carry any wind pants but my leg stayed warm.

>What do you do for a rain shell? Where I live going without a rain layer would be suicide in all but the hottest weather, when getting wet isn't dangerous.
    In monsoon I just get wet which keeps me cool. I havent hiked in freezing rain but if I did I would make something similar to roger's silnylon mountain poncho.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

I'm intrigued. I've been thinking about such a cagoule for a long time, especially relating it to the tunics that people around the world have worn for millennia, including the tunics of Europe in the past. I've always wondered why the tunic was so much more common in most cultures for thousands of years than anything like pants. Could this be another new way of going UL with a thinking-outside-the-western-box approach? I emailed AYCE of Thruhiker last week asking him if it would be possible to make a knee-length Primaloft insulated layer.

When will your offering be available? I'd like to give it a try (or make one myself).

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I made something similar out of eVent. Works pretty good. Especially when it's windy or raining.

If it was hot and sunny you'de want it to be white.

Supplex isn't the best if it's rainy, but at least it's pretty lightweight so it doesn't absorb a lot of water and dries quickly. Pretty good wind protection.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Miguel, you may find this link interesting: click here

I am actually planning to make a similar design using 5oz climashield.

My offering? :) I don't know. There have to be enough people interested in this. I am really happy with how it turned out but if I were to sell it I need to work on the design a bit.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

Cagoule sewing pattern:
    http://www.therainshed.com/patternpages/RSpatternPages_/RS280cagoule.htm
    There are also a couple of Green Pepper patterns that could be used, particularly the woman's coast range parka, #125
    http://www.thegreenpepper.com/adults.html?id=mQWYRHIM
    I haven't made them, but agree that a cagoule or longer than normal wind/rain parka can work pretty well.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

Hilleberg has their Bivanorak

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

It was years ago now and I can't remember, and the thread was monstrous, but did the Bivanorak get a mention in Ryan Jordan's SUL Winter Challenge?

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Here's Campmor's version. I own one but seldom use it. Pulling the thing over my head is awkward. I would prefer one with a full zip. I guess it would then be called a hooded long raincoat?

here

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

I used a Cagoule as rainwear for winter backpacking in the Northeast (yes, it does rain in the winter). Combined with gaiters, it gave good coverage. It was waterproof nylon, so some care was need to keep from getting too sweaty…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools