Topic

Making a synthetic “blanket”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Making a synthetic “blanket”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I have an idea I would like to try out and I wanted feedback on what you MYOG folks think would work well for materials. Basically, I want a very light, thin synthetic blanket that is wide enough and long enough to cover two sleeping bags. The idea is that for winter use in extreme cold temperatures that condensation will accumulate and freeze on the synthetic "overquilt" rather than on the down sleeping bags. This has worked well in the past with jackets thrown over my sleeping bag but I would like something with a bit more coverage (and then I have the luxury of wearing the jacket in my bag if I like rather than letting it get frosty). What fabric and insulation would work well for this purpose? Thanks for any feedback.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

0.67 oz fabric from Titaniumgoat.com

or 0.9 oz from thru-hiker.com or owfinc.com if that's not available

Apex from owfinc.com or thru-hiker.com

or any of the primalofts if that's not available

the 2.5 or 3 oz weight might give you 20 degree F lower, some people might think less than that

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

Thanks for the feedback. I am not looking for the overquilt to add any warmth to the sleeping system, although it will for sure. I just want it for a "frost guard" to catch the condensation instead of my down sleeping bag.

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

You are describing essentially a poncho liner. They measure 62"-68" x 82". Here is an example. It isn't the lightest thing in the world, but it probably costs a lot less than the time and effort of sewing your own. Just a thought…

http://www.rangerjoes.com/Poncho-LinerWoobie-P1949.aspx

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

If you are set on MYOG, that's cool. If not, check out the military surplus poncho liner. A thin, very light, square quilt blanket. Just shell and a bit of synthetic fluff, nothing fancy. They are very roomy, I assume they could fit two bags. Definitely two people could sleep under one buy itself with plenty of room. They weight right around 1lb.
    They make great underquilts for hammocks as well when it gets around freezing.

Edit: oops, marc beat me to it.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

If you want the 'blanket' to catch the frost/condensation ratheer than your quilt/SB, then it HAS TO add insulation to the combination.

We (Sue and I) often use our light down summer quilts in winter with a winter down overquilt on top. Works very well. Shared warmth under it. Yes, it keeps the inner quilts dry.

Hum … it seems the overquilt dries off a bit in the late afternoon when we have pitched camp. At -40 C there could be more of a problem I guess.

Cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools