Topic

Zpacks cuben mitts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zpacks cuben mitts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Keith F

@hamerica

Locale: Northern Virginia

Anyone else see these? I was going to buy a pair of black rock mitts but now I'm torn.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/mitts.shtml

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Locale: Germany

Yesah Joe sent me a photo some weeks ago. They are really nice and light, but I think white is not the best colour for mitts if they get dirty. Black would be OK.

david
    Spectator

@davidvcd

On one hand

Zpacks cuben mitts
    pros: In stock, half the price, written 1 year warranty,
    cons: one size fits all, doesn't seem to cover the wrist as far as the black rock,
    ?? : breathable cuben fiber -> non vbl, color

on the other

black rock ultralight rain mitts
    Pros: lightest, multiple sizing,made to go with the black rock undermitts
    cons: backorder, price,
    ?? : breathable cuben ? VBL ?, color

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

picked some up. we'll see how they do. I like how they are taped and I don't have to seam deal them myself. Been eyeing the MLD eVent ones for quite some time.

Keith F

@hamerica

David the black rock have WPB cuben on the palm as well so they are not a true vapor barrier either.

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

Locale: Southeast TN

Got a pair of these a few weeks ago. I like them quite a bit. They have a good length to them that provides very good coverage.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Another option is Outdoor Research's Versaliner gloves, which is a fleece glove/waterproof shell combo. They're cheaper ($45 for the shells and gloves). Weight is a bit higher (~3oz for everything vs. about 2oz) but just the shell gloves are likely less than half of that 3oz weight. You're not using WP/B cuben which is more of an unknown how it's going to hold up. They look really nicely designed, such as the way the shell stores in the pocket on the inner glove for quick deployment.

Pros: Cheaper, More Breathable, Added Dexterity of gloves
    Cons: Heavier (3oz vs. 2oz). Less warm since they're gloves

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/versaliner-m-s.html

Keith F

@hamerica

Dan, I was looking at those the other day and almost picked them up…

Nick Brown

@ojsglove

Locale: Highland Park

I have a pair of Extremeties Tuff Bag Mitts, Gore-Tex Paclite. They are very good but hard to come across as they are from England. 2 oz.

These Rab Modular Mitts are a very good deal. Rab make great gloves. I own two other pair and kind of wish I had bought these. They are Event and for the price can't be beat.

http://www.prolitegear.com/rab-modular-mitts.html

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

At 5.5oz, the Rab Modular Mitts are really in another category. They look more like a winter mitt, than one you'd take on colder 3-season trips like these other mitts.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I'm pretty sure the listed weight includes the hi-loft liners.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

i find it odd that the community that usually promotes cottage industry is guiding away from 2 great cottage guys in this thread. :/

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I promote what seems to be good gear…cottage or otherwise. The MLD eVent mitts and Zpacks WP/B cuban mitts both look sweet, but so are the OR Versaliners. Each option should be mentioned as they're all going to suit different people. MLD ones are best for breathability, OR wins for price and people looking for gloves and Zpacks wins for lowest weight.

EDIT: As per Will Reitveld's 2011 Staff Picks list, the OR Veraliners are 3.1oz in an XL with the shells weighing just 0.8oz. So in a medium size the shells are likely 0.7oz which makes them the lightest of all of these.

On the downside, they're not seam taped/sealed, so you have to do that yourself if you want them fully waterproof.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/2011_bpl_staff_picks.html

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Ooh, I like these! I wonder how cold the fleece liners will take you though?

P.S. What's the weight difference(if same warmth) between felted wool and fleece? How about down mitts with a wool or fleece palm?

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

I have just purchased a pair of OR VersaLiners, size MED…Total Weight 2.46oz

• GLOVE WEIGHT (100-weight Radiant Fleece): 1.83oz/52g
    • SHELL WEIGHT (Pertex® Shield DS stretch ripstop fabric): .63oz/18g

Having been using these gloves for the last two weeks here in Michigan on my daily AM/PM walks and found them to be comfortable to 45*F at the coldest. I have not tested nor used them in rain/wet conditions to evaluate their performance in those environments.

Having used the now “extinct” ULA Over Mitts in rain many times, I would infer the OR VersaLiners Shells would compare for waterproofness. The ZPacks Waterproof Breathable Cuben Fiber Rain Mitts(Waterproof Breathable Cuben Fiber material, .7oz/20g) would have the advantage to the VerasLiner Shells and ULA Over Mitts due to the waterproof nature of the material they are constructed from ..….for how long is another story, but they have 1 year warranty against defects in materials.

Keith F

@hamerica

Just noticed REI has the VersaLiner gloves for $30 now

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Thanks for posting those weights Ken. My wife's women's small is sure going to be light.

My understanding is that the Versaliners use a true WP/B fabric, not just water repellant nylon, so they should hold up to extended heavy rain as long as you seam seal them. The Pertex Shield fabric used has got a PU membrane (see link) which should make it totally waterproof (rated at 10,000mm) and similarly breathable as the Zpacks mitts. The MLD eVent ones are going to be the most breathable ones.

$30 at REI is a smoking deal. Unless you're looking for mitts or hate seam sealing, that's pretty tough to pass up. I paid $45 at CampSaver a week ago.

http://www.rei.com/product/819157/outdoor-research-versaliner-gloves

There's a couple reviews at REI claimed 25-28F warmth. That might be a bit optimistic, but they should be a solid shoulder season glove system.

Rick Sutton
    BPL Member

@rickcsutton

Locale: Midwest

I just got a pair of OR Versaliners given their low weight outer shells. I would prefer them to be 100% waterproof so I was planning to seal the seams myself. When I turned the glove inside out to see what this would take, I noticed a lot of seems in very close proximity of each other in and around the finger area.

Has any one tried to seam seal these gloves and just how well did that work in making them 100% waterproof? I am now wondering if getting the MLD or Zpack outer shell might be a better idea. I know the MLD gloves need to be seam sealed as well, however, given they are a mitten, I would believe it would be a easier thing to do.

Thanks in advance.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

MYOG tyvek rain mitts is about as easy as it gets. About 1oz.
    If you can use a pair of scissors and tape, you can do it.
    Why pay $60

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools