Topic

Volume of gear I own

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Volume of gear I own

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

I admit that I try out a lot of gear and I also make a lot of my own gear. To keep things managable I try sell gear that I don't use or need. It is typically great gear that has been replaced by a MYOG item. Since it is close to new someone else gets a nice item that in some cases they could not afford otherwise. I don't feel bad at all about my gear consuming habits.

With all the talk of enough gear, not buying gear, and minimalism I decided to do a check on myself. Instead of weight or # items I decided to measure volume of space occupied by my gear in my home.

I measured the length width and height (rounding up) all each area holding gear. I ncluded shelf material and went all the way to the next shelf of ceiling even if the gear did not take up the space because nothing else was going to utilize this space. My entire collection occupies approximately 36.6 cubic feet. This is cube that is ~3.2' on all sides. This is approximately 3 shelves in my closest plus the space to hang all my jackets. The biggest offenders are my sleeping quilts since they are stored unstuffed in over sized bags.

I did realize I still have a lot of opportunity to reduce the items I have so expect to see some decent things in the gear swap section.

I am curious what people think about this or how you think it compares to your space?

Jamie

PS this does not include the raw materials or equipment used for my MYOG projects so my total space invested into this hobby is a bit more.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

My storage space expands each decade. Most good stuff I keep, even if it is "obsolete," as I will use it occasionally. I do give a lot of stuff away, but the storage requirements continue to increase.

Actually I have been working in the garage the past month or so, re-arranging things to get rid of my wife's junk that I have no idea as to what it is; to make more space for my more valuable gear that should take priority — as responsibility for garage keeping has been assigned to me — watch out for what you wish for Dear.

Gawd, I hope she doesn't ask where the turkey fryer or some of those other I-don't-know-what-they-do appliances are. Seems they went to my favorite charity, without permission from the boss :)

I almost gave away the sewing machine I found taking up valuable storage space, but thought hmm… maybe some day I might need it to make something. So I kept it. But it is not in the gear storage area yet… it is in the ever decreasing "Her Stuff" storage area. If I do need it someday, then I shall acquire it through eminent domain :)

Edit: We'll I better get back out to the garage, she made me stay home this weekend to get it done, since I have been out hiking "too much" the past 3 months. Since she just left to go shopping to buy more useless non-hiking stuff, I have another window of opportunity to par down the non-essential storage areas.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I am too poor to be a gear junkie :) I don't even own a pair of "hiking" pants and I slept with a wool blanket for a while.
    You guys are lucky you aren't bushcrafters… they are even worse, but with sharp pointy things.
    But I do love the gear swap. Lot's of good deals on normally overpriced niche ultralight gear.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools