Topic

Sizing for women Driduck and Montbell

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sizing for women Driduck and Montbell

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    MARTINE LAVOCAT

@myrtille

Locale: South of France

Hi!
    I would like to buy a Montbell UL down inner parka as well as a Driduck ultralite vest but I find the sizing charts very strange. Because I am French it is even more tricky!!
    I am 5f4 tall and I weigh 110 lb, I am slim.
    It would be more helpful for me if you could give me the measure of the vest itself, (if you have one) measure for chest and total length.
    As for Montbell I am hesitating between M and L, I want to be able to wear a tee-shirts and fleece under.for exemple the chart gives 26-28in for waist in M which seems impossible that's too tight!
    As for driduck there is no women sizing I think S is ok ?

Thank you for your help and I am sure it will be helpful for others.

Myrtille

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

I would recommend you get the medium. I have the UL down inner jacket in a size large and it fits with plenty of room. I am 5'9 140 lbs. I think the large would be HUGE on you. (I love the jacket, by the way!).

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

S for Driducks would still be gigantic for women. Driducks are huge even for men!

As for MontBell, remember it is a Japanese company, sized for Japanese. If you look inside the garment at the label you will see the size equivalents for different areas of the world. "M" in Japan is "S" in America and Europe. 26-28 is the average waist size of women in Japan. Yes, women are very slim here. And just imagine, my Japanese partner has Japanese size "S" (XS in America and Europe) and think how small the waist is on those!

Be careful with leg length sizes. Japanese pants legs are shorter than those of Americans and Europeans. Also bust sizes can be considerably smaller in Japanese garments.

Jennifer McFarlane
    BPL Member

@jennymcfarlane

Locale: Southern California

I have a Montbell Down Inner parka and also and Alpine Light jacket.
    Both are in Men's size M. I typically wear a women's large- I am definitely not slim.

I had a hard time figuring out what size to buy- I ordered a Mens L- way too big. I ordered a Women's XL (I wanted to be able to layer)- also too big. I finally called Montbell. They suggested I order the Large Women's and the Men's medium, and then keep the one I liked the fit of, and send the other one back.
    I believe a Women's small sounds like to would work for you.

I could send you measurements if you still need them- but I pored over the size guides from Montbell and then ended up with the wrong size based on my best guess.

Joslyn Bloodworth

@joslynb

Locale: Southwest

Living in Georgia, I got the opportunity to go to Mountain Crossings on the AT and actually try on the Mont Bell sizes so my husband could give me the correct Alpine Light Size for Christmas. I fit in a medium with a t shirt and and Large got even a light fleece under it, but to fit my shirt, fleece and synthetic vest under it all I had to go with an Extra Large. It fits over everything despite the website saying the waist should be 32-35 and my bare waist is 35.

When I get my UL Down Parka I plan on going with the L and I'm just barely shorter than you and not slim at all. If I were you think I would go with an M. Mont Bell is really good about making sure you get what you want so even if it's wrong, you can always exchange it.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

I would think you'd want a Montbell SMALL and I doubt that you'll be able to wear a Driduck small without alterations.

I'm 5'2" and weigh about 140lb. I'm not slim and have really wide shoulders. I have a Montbell UL inner jacket and, based on the size charts, originally ordered a women's large and it was way too big. The medium fits me perfect, with room for a substantial baselayer. It has pretty generous shoulders for an UL jacket.

I also have a Driducks small rain suit and it's huge. I've actually never worn it.

MARTINE LAVOCAT

@myrtille

First thank you to all of you, that is very kind.
    Your advice is pretty useful and I think I will be able to choose
    As for Driduck I am disappointed, it is not a good idea… I have none now because I wanted something waterproof and ultra light…and not a cape
    Myrtille

MARTINE LAVOCAT

@myrtille

Hi!
    I still haven't made up my mind about the choice of the size of my Montbell
    I'm afraid of choosing the wrong size it is a bit tricky for me since i live in france!
    So, could anyone give me measurements of a medium size of Montbell UL inner down parka? chest- waist (if smaller than chest) – sleeve – and total length
    Thank you!
    Myrtille

Jason Williams

@whiskey

Locale: Middle Tennessee

Frog Toggs sells Driducks, but they also sell PollyWogs, which are kid's size versions. They have a sizing chart on their website.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

I have a Montbell inner down vest, women's, and it is a large, where I usually wear a size medium in everything else. I can wear men's small tops with room to spare. I am 5'2" 128 lbs. My vest is several years old, so maybe the sizing has changed.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I'm afraid of choosing the wrong size it is a bit tricky for me since i live in france!

MontBell has a headquarters in Switzerland. Would it be possible to call them there and inquire about sizing, possibly even having them send you the items and getting a chance to try on two different sizes? You could then send the one that doesn't fit back. I'm sure they have someone who speaks French there.

http://en.montbell.jp/shop/overseas/grindelwald/

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

Myrtille, I have the UL down inner jacket, *not* the parka. I believe it's a 2010 model (bought it last summer.) Here are the measurements for my jacket in medium:

Across the chest (right at the armpits) – 41" (104cm)
    Waist – 38" (97cm)
    Sleeve (along the bottom, from the armpit) – 21.5" (54.5cm)
    Sleeve (top, from the neckline) – 29" (74cm)

Hope this helps.

Conner D

@cdipaolo

Locale: SoCal

For dri ducks, get a size smaller than what you think you will want. They are huge.

MARTINE LAVOCAT

@myrtille

Hi Sumi,
    Thank you for your measurements , that's very friendly
    I think medium is ok for me then
    What sort of layers do you wear under your jacket?
    I usually wear a tee-shirt and a micro-fleece .

Myrtille

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools