Topic

Stoveless rice and beans?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Stoveless rice and beans?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

Going to be doing more solo hiking this year, and generally no female companion means I don't have to bring a stove. In the past I've taken nuts, pbnj… well that's about it really, I'm not to creative in the food department. Reading about no cook rice and beans really appeals to me (Krudmeisters blog), but most of the R+B recipes I find require the rice to be simmered?

Anyway I'm a little confused, anyone with information or experience with cold rice and beans? I'd appreciate it.

And then there is no cook quinoa…

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I did a trip one time when my butane stove was damaged before I got to the trailhead, so basically I was not cooking for six days. I had instant rice, and you really need to soak it a lot if you aren't going to simmer or boil. I also had home dehydrated red beans and garbanzo beans. They can be soaked and eaten, hopefully mixed with the soaked instant rice.

Quinoa has become my rice substitute. I cook it and then dehydrate it, so it is instant. It can be rehydrated with hot or cold water.

Veggies. You have to eat your vegetables. I buy a package of frozen chopped spinach and throw that on the dehydrator. There is some dry green stuff left from that, and I crumble it up into green powder. You can mix that into whatever you made with the rice and beans.

Hummus is powder made from dried chick peas. Just mix it with some water and some olive oil, and it goes down great with pita bread.

–B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Beans that are cooked and dehydrated can be cold soaked easy enough. Rice is a bit different. You have to have time. Instant rice doesn't rehydrate as well as other grains without heat. It can be done but…again, you gotta have time and patience.

IMO though use couscous (it truly is instant and will rehydrate with cold water – and also has protein due to being pasta or quinoa, which you can cook and dry, and becomes instant.

Some recipes ideas you could adapt:
    http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/spicy-black-beans-and-rice

http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/corn-salsa-beans-and-rice

One other method is to use refried beans, that are a powder – they will rehdyrate quick enough and you can burritos or wraps out of them:
    http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/rice-beans

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

Thanks for the comments, sounds like quinoa is going to be the way to go! we like to do quinoa with sweet potatos and black beans, I'll have to give that a try in the dehydrator.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

All three dehydrate beautifully.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools