Topic

a food deal

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

This isn't exactly a gear deal, and it is more of a food deal.

Some of us might head to REI to purchase a package of freeze-dried fruit. The packages are often 1.5 to 1.75 ounces and contain peaches, apples, strawberries, etc. At REI, the price is normally $6.00.

I happened to shop at a Target store, and there were freeze-dried fruit packages in the same size and same variety of fruits. The price was $3.00 each, or two for $5.00.

Of course you strip off the plastic or foil package on the night before you leave home on a trip, and you transfer the crunchy chunks into a zip-loc bag.

–B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Yep, Target is good for that! So is Costco (they have single serving bags in boxes, in the snack area, made by MH!) and Trader Joe's :-)

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Bob and Sarah, what is the "brand" on the packaging? This might help those food shopping challenged to locate the items in the store.
    For some the GPS coordinates to the exact spot on the aisle and shelve might even be necessary.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Sarah, I consider Trader Joes to be the place for air dried fruit. Not too much of a selection for freeze-dried.

Of course, I have to go there anyway for chocolate and nuts and a few other things.

–B.G.–

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

REI's fruit is Crunchies. Made in USA.

Target's fruit is Archer Farms. Product of Greece.

–B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Yeah, Target hides the fruit in with the fruit leather and that kind of thing :-)

The FD fruit at Costco by MH (or should I say Oregon Freezedry) is US and imported but we are talking bananas after all ;-) But not from China. What I like about the Costco ones (they are branded under Kirkland btw) is they are single serving. So no soggy fruit later. The toddler loves them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools