Topic

jam 69.99 at golite

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals jam 69.99 at golite

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

golite has the jam for 69.99

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

I assume this is the 2011 model. Does anyone have experience with this model? Is it possible to get the weight down a few ounces without major amputations? I am looking at the men's large for my husband…

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

Dave Chenault led a thread on it last summer: read it here. A few posts down he talks about the minor trimmings he did, and notes they didn't add up to very much. IIRC, this was THE post that substantively discussed that Jam model.

After heartily defending it in that thread, though, he later posted a write-up of a nearly complete MYOG makeover he gave it. Here's that thread.

This is a total aside, but I'm personally starting to wonder about chopping off the whole back pocket. I like my 2010 Jam for its ability to carry snowshoes so dog-gone well (I love the wrap-around ability of the compression straps, probably my favorite feature of the Jam and what (in my mind) gives it a place in my gear closet next to my CDT), but that back pocket just seems extraneous. it's obnoxious to access, and you can't see anything in there to make it any easier. It could be I'm a lousy packer, but I've come to prefer mesh in back. Chopping off that pocket would give me a big tubular pack with good side pockets and nice hip-belt pockets, and a flatter surface to put my snowshoes against.

Tangent over.

-Daniel

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I picked one up and am sending it back. The side pockets do not hold a 1L Nalgene well. I thought I could replace the removable closed cell foam back pad but it is an odd shape and the sleeve that hold it in does not have a lot of room. I could try to use my ccf pad inside but that would just negate the back pocket which is pretty useless. I thought about trying to redo the back padding and the mesh but it is really not worth it as it would involve too much. I thought about replacing the back pocket also but it would involve too much also. I think it would just be easier for me to put a mesh back pocket on my Vapor Trail and use that since they are about the same weight.

David Ure

@familyguy

Nalgene? Try a platypus bottle (80% less weight as well).

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"80% less weight as well"

only when empty.

Too bad about the pack. $70 is cheap.

David Ure

@familyguy

"only when empty."

When did you change your definition of base weight?

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Yeah, just not was I was looking for. You have to pack the back of it really well or it feels lumpy. The shoulder straps just felt odd if I tried to use the sternum strap and less so without. The side pockets were actually shorter than the main body of the Nalgene bottle. It weighs just about as much as my Vapor Trail which I feel handles the weight better and feels better against my back.

I think I might be going more towards a Gorilla or just modifying my Vapor Trail since it already has a lot of the features I want except for a back mesh pocket which is something easy to do.

As for the 1L bottles, I like my 1L Polyethylene because I never have to worry about it puncturing or splitting if I drop it or delaminating or anything else. It is something that is going to last 10 years, weighs 3.5 ounces, cost $6, is easy to pour anything into and something which I can use for just about any purpose that requires a liquid.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Thanks, Daniel, for the links–very helpful! And Brett, for the comments as well. While the pricetag is VERY interesting, I think I'll save my pennies for something like the CDT…. Or sell I few items collecting dust….

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Just be careful when you start pulling a Jam apart (take your time) and plan on being scared when you see the mess inside.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

bncpackn was selling a HMG Windrider pack for $155 shipped which is a pretty good deal and comparable to the CDT.

David Ure

@familyguy

Also, Amazon is selling the 'classic' Windrider here:

http://www.amazon.com/Hyperlite-Mountain-Gear-Windrider-Classic/dp/B005WU3GAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326122046&sr=8-1

It is quite a bit more pack (value for the $$) than the CDT.

Note on the CDT – I like the pack but it is noticeably smaller than a Jam FWIW.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Thanks! I actually have a Conduit, myself, and I think the CDT size would be perfectly adequate, but I will have to check out the Windrider–not really familiar with those packs and hadn't thought to check them out.

James Stewart
    BPL Member

@jstewse

Locale: New England

The Jam is a great pack and this is a solid value, especially for someone looking to reduce gear volume and weight as an initial transition to UL. The Jam really carries pretty well, and I've never had issues with Nalgenes in my side pockets.

I actually like the big front pocket, but mesh would probably be more versatile. For the back pad connundrum, I just cut out the whole black back pocket and h20 bladder pocket, save for the bottom two inches or so, where the pocket it wider. I use 8-sections of z-lite for my pad and the bottom fits into the bottom piece of that back pocket very well.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

What year do you have and what did you do secure the top of your z-lite? For me I would need to do that because I use a hydration bladder also.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools