Topic

MYOG Internal Frame Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Internal Frame Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Michael Duke

@mpd1690

I finished a pack the other day based of a design that my brother and I came up with for his Christmas present. I liked his so much that I decided to make my own. It is 16.5 ounces stripped without frame and 32 ounces with frame. The frame is HDPE and Aluminum bar. I figured I'd go burley and the first frame, as I can always make a new one and add it in. The bottom is DX40, which I have been extremely impressed with. The pack material is 75 cent 210 d fabric that David Olsen was selling a little while back. It is really pretty fabric. A blueish green color. I went with a curved strap connection to see how it differed from a flat connection after reading the thread Chris Wallace started a while back.

This pack is modular. The straps are removable and there are multiple lashing points. The hip belt is a wrap around hip belt. I also added in a holder for a fly rod, or my Tenkara Christmas gift.FrontSideBackUnder
    Tenkara
    Strap
    No Strap

Frame Sheet holder without top (210 D used on the rub area at the bottom):Frame Holder

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

The pack looks great! Nice job on the harness system, it looks really solid! Keep up the great work!

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Thank you Christopher. I appreciate it a lot. I am excited to test it out soon. I haven't used a framed pack in a while. The packs you are bringing out are truly awesome by the way.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Nice pack! Make me three, ha ha…

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Thank you! If you'd like one I may be able to make another.

Nicholas Martin

@namaniac

Locale: SoCal-High Desert

Is that blue 3d mesh on the shoulder straps i see? where did you find that!!
    Nice looking pack! let us know how it rides!

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

It is black 4mm from rockywoods. My camera is just not great ha. I like the mesh though. It has carried well when I have loaded it down, but I will know for sure when I take it out.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

LOL! That is pretty bad of a camera! And here I was kind of digging the navy blue and white color scheme, although I'm sure it's just as well crafted looking in black!

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

The fabric is navy but the 4mm mesh for the straps is black.

Nicholas Martin

@namaniac

Locale: SoCal-High Desert

Totally looked blue! I was soo excited!!! lol
    Still great looking pack!

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

Nice pack!!! I really like the white on blue scheme. Did you use a pattern?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I like the three compression straps. I always felt like just twon on either side wasn't enough. Looks good. Once I get the time and materials I'm going to be working some something broadly similar. Different frame but I'll be going for a simple layout and a similar compression system.

Josh Panelle

@jpanelle11

Michael email me if you think you can still make a second pack I have been looking all over for something such as this! [email protected]

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Sean: I did not use a pattern. I made an extremely broad one though if you'd like to see it.

Luke: What type of frame are you going with? I went with this one just because of the versatility of it and the ability to switch out frames.

Josh: I'll send an email here in a minute.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I'm going to be using the U shaped frame from a GG. It was a Christmas present from my family since they knew I like MYOG projects.

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

If you wouldn't mind, I would like to see your pattern. I'd love to get into making a pack, but I'm just not sure where to start.

Christopher Wilke
    Spectator

@wilke7000

Locale: Colorado

Awesome Pack Michael! It's got some nice lines and a cool color scheme. How did you attach the hipbelt? I too am working on a pack similar to this and wanted a full wrap around hipbelt.

Rocking the 64 I see. Nice :)

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Haha 64's never die. It's amazing.

What I did was square of fabric (the green that is seen). I sewed that directly into a seam created by the end of the back panel (white) and where I cut at the top with the sole reason to attach the square in. I then felled the seams. Separately I do a very loose zigzag stitch to attach the two hip belts together. I then pushed that through the sleeve then lined it up and double stitched the edges to anchor it.

Christopher Wilke
    Spectator

@wilke7000

Locale: Colorado

Yeah gotta love it.

I was thinking the hip belt was one piece. Thanks for the explanation.

Also, how do you like the fit of the shoulder straps vs. attaching them to a straight seam on the pack body?

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

No problem. I thought about doing one piece, but I ended up deciding that it added complications without much benefit. I like the strap attachment a lot. It feels nice and it is extremely stable and strong. The strength of the connection is great.

Also, I have loaded it with containers filled with water to add weight and the frame distributes very nicely. I like the ability to bend the frame as well. I have curved it to my back.

Thomas Knight

@thomask702

Locale: Sothern Nevada

Would you mind posting the rough demensions of your pack? just the main compartment hight, width and depth. Having a hard time getting the demensions right on my paper mock up/pattern im making. Your demensions look pretty good!

Thanks
    -Thomas

Addison Page

@nihilist_voyager

Locale: Down the Rabbit Hole!

Nice backpack, and nice gaming choice on the floor there, I always loved Super Smash Bros., although Melee was always the best.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Addison: Haha the original will always be the best.

Thomas: The dimensions are 6 deep by 11 wide and 24 or 25 tall. I think 25 if I remember correctly. 20in to from the bottom of the pack to the straps.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools