Topic

Skyscape in colder conditions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Skyscape in colder conditions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jason Cravens
    Spectator

@packpack

Locale: Cumberland Plateau

I have a Skyscape Scout that I will be doing some backpacking with in colder temps. Has anyone had any experience with the Scout in below freezing weather? Probably nothing below 25 degrees F. I really liked the tent this summer and fall, but it is fairly open. Any experiences or tips for colder weather?

Jason

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

My TT Moment in constant high winds (35 -45 mph.) was BREEZY even with a 1 ft. high snow wall around the front and clothes laid on the floor level netting.

Had there been blowing snow the spindrift would have come right inside the tent.

The Skyscape, being a hybrid (partial) double wall, may be a bit warmer and W/O the Moment's ground level netting may be better suited to keep out more (but not all) spindrift. But you DON'T want to use the Skyscape's optional porch on cold nights.

I think the Skyscape could be improved with TarpTent-like closeable peak vents.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

This brings up an issue brought up on a different thread: Can you set up a Skyscape in such a way to pin one side (or the other) to the ground. I know there are condensation issues with this, but if it's cold and windy, maybe it is worth it.

Jason Cravens
    Spectator

@packpack

As of right now, no snow is predicted for the trip. I am going in two weeks. I will try to keep one side closer to the ground and block most of the wind. I guess I will find out soon.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Do you have a bivy?

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Are you concerned about too much ventilation?

I suspect the Skyscape does a pretty good job of blocking most wind. Just don't consider it as a way to hold in a lot of heat. That is the job of your sleeping bag/quilt/clothing.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Can you set up a Skyscape in such a way to pin one side (or the other) to the ground."

Maybe try shortening the windward pole a couple of inches and retensioning guy lines on both ends? Assuming trekking pole use here. I haven't tried this yet, but I will, based on this thread.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Jason Cravens
    Spectator

@packpack

I have the appropriate bag,pad, and clothing. Just curious if anyone had any cold weather stories.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"My concern with dropping the pole height is that doing so often collapses the bathtub floor in single wall tents."

I'll post after I get around to setting up my Skyscape. One of the things I want to check out is how the bathtub floor is tensioned. I'm also concerned about altering the geometry of the pitch in a way the compromises stability in windy conditions. It's too cruddy outside to do it now, in case I decide I want to return it. The sun will eventually shine around here long enough to dry things out, and pitching the Skyscape will be my number one priority then.

David Wills

@willspower3

The Skyscape is very similar to the Lightheart Solo I used on the PCT last year. I got to see it at a few trail festivals and the difference between the two in this situation is negligible. You can shorten a windward pole so the fly is at ground level on one side without compromising the bathtub floor. The mesh droops, but that's what its designed to do. Keep ventilation on the other side. No worries.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"You can shorten a windward pole so the fly is at ground level on one side without compromising the bathtub floor."

Thanks for the feedback, David. That is good to know.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Jason Cravens
    Spectator

@packpack

Thanks for all the replies. I will be leaving the 21st for this trip, update and pics to follow.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools