Topic

Houseplants (small trees as structure inside a tarp)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Houseplants (small trees as structure inside a tarp)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Erin McKittrick
    BPL Member

@mckittre

Locale: Seldovia, Alaska

Tarps can be set up with trekking poles, paddles, etc… But my favorite way to to set up a tarp is with a small flexible tree or bush (alders are great). Stake down the tarp on one side of the tree, then pull it across, bending the tree down. Not only does the trunk make a ridge pole, the branches are ribs that support the walls, making a rounded shape, rather than a triangular one, which keeps the walls further from me. In the morning, take it down, the tree springs right back. And if you don't otherwise need to bring paddle shafts or trekking poles, this way is lighter.
    tarp with tree inside

picture of 3 person tarp, set up low for wind, with available bushes

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Erin,
    Now THAT's what separates the wilderlings from the newbies. Thanks.

mark henley

@flash582

Do you ever have a problem with abrasion on the tarp material

Erin McKittrick
    BPL Member

@mckittre

Locale: Seldovia, Alaska

Don't seem to. I've been setting up this same tarp this way since 2004 – on spruce, alder, and willow mostly – and haven't had any abrasion/leakage. And I've used it for months at a time…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools