Topic

lightest windshirt that can withstand backpack abrasion

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) lightest windshirt that can withstand backpack abrasion

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi,

I'm in the market for a windshirt. I'd like something certainly under 4oz that can take some abuse from pack straps. Breathability is important as well. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

rhz

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

Been using a Houdini for the past year with a Circuit. No problems so far, and it's been through an occasional bushwhack.

Leslie Thurston

@lesler

Locale: right here, right now

rafi, i'm diggin' on my MB ultralight windjacket! in fact, i own the same model in the vest. the fabric appears paper thin, but has proven it's versatility and tenacity. in fact, last nite it offically earned status as my fave item o 'gear to date. as i loaded up my pack and cycled my way to the pond to play some puck, i was was gravely concerned that under a rather significant load, the material would faulter, (shoulders in particular) but hot d! it's fiesty! check it:
    http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=94&p_id=2303179
    bottom line: it packs like a champ, breathes like a yogi and it's featherlight.
    leslie

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Thanks Leslie–I looked on the MB website but didn't see the web special.

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Hi Christopher,

Would you happen to have an exact weight for the jacket? I've seen numbers between 3.3 and 4.3oz. I suppose I'd need a medium.

thanks,

rhz

Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

Not sure if Leslie is referring to the Tachyon Anorak but when I need to replace my Wild Things hooded windshirt this is the one I will be buying. Check out the review HERE.

I have the dynamo pants and they are really nice and have been great for 3-season trips.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Rafi,the link Leslie posted for you is the sale on the montbell site for the windshirt

david
    Spectator

@davidvcd

The MB tachyon anorak and dynamo windpants have been sold out on the montbell site for a while now… if anyone knew where to buy them elsewhere ..

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

"Hi Christopher,

Would you happen to have an exact weight for the jacket? I've seen numbers between 3.3 and 4.3oz. I suppose I'd need a medium.

thanks,

rhz"

My medium came in at 4.0 on the dot.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

dynamo windpants are on the Montbell site in medium and large.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Leslie was referring to the MB UL Windshirt, 2.6 oz in a men's medium. It is subjective, but I find it breathes very poorly for me. I am much happier with my Houdini, which I use all the time now. Plus it has a hood, which the MB UL does not.

Leslie Thurston

@lesler

Locale: right here, right now

thoughtful insight on nick's part, and well stated. yes, agreed, "subjective"! while i've used my MB exclusively in both fall and winter (recent purchase), i've yet to explore it's breathability in both heat and humidity. also, factoring in location– east and west, and everywhere in-between–subjectivity screams! :) lt

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have scientifically measured the air permeability of both garments. Whispering quietly… "the Montbell model tests 6.19 Frazier CFM versus 38.12 Frazier CFM for the Patagonia model."

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Richard,

For us lay people, what do those figures mean?

Martin RJ Carpenter

@martincarpenter

The Houdini lets a lot more air through than the MB :) Consequences as you've seemingly noticed.

Not that I think (not at all sure!) that 6 is abnormally low for a windshirt, its more the Houdini being unusually high.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

The original post asked for abrasion qualities under pack straps. This would be dependent on weight of pack, strap material, etc. Seems the only was to subjectively measure it would be someone who has hiked a lot with the same pack and load using two different wind shirts.

I suspect that Richard has some sort of test that can measure abrasion resistance, but sometimes laboratory results don't match real world use. However it appears his measurements of breathability for my two wind shirts validates my subjective observations.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

I have measured the Frazier CFM, air permeability, of a very large number of windshirts. Every one of them has vocal proponents on this forum. The air permeability measurements ranged from a low of .33 (Dri Ducks) to a high of 100.59 (Acteryx Squamish). The Patagonia Houdini is not abnormally high at 38.12; it falls approximately 1/3 up from the bottom of the spectrum.

The above is science; the following is a subjective judgment. For use in environments where your MET level varies widely but, averages approximately 7 (UL Backpacking), the Houdini provides a near optimal wind shirt solution.

Regarding abrasion resistance, the amide group -(-CO-NH-)- provides hydrogen bonding between polyamide chains. This gives nylon high strength at elevated temperatures; toughness at low temperatures; combined with its other properties, such as stiffness, wear and abrasion resistance, low friction coefficient and good chemical resistance. These properties have made nylons the strongest of all man-made fibers in common use.

Polyester is the other common windshirt material, but for the same windshirt weight, it will not handle abrasion as well.

James R
    BPL Member

@habakkuk

Richard, have you had a chance to test Rab's Cirrus windshirt? If so. I would greatly appreciate if you could share your findings!

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Or the GoLite Dakota?

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i own and use a dead bird celeris wind vest … and i find it quite "breathable" … more so than others

its even in a non-social color, so no yuppie use out of it for me … there arent that many dead bird products im a fan of, but this is one of them

of course i did snag it at 50% off ;)

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

richard – while we are going down the laundry-list of windshirts, do you have numbers for the wild things windshirt in epic?

thanks –

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Richard,

All of the Wild Things Epic polyester products I tested had very low air permeability. The tests included three different windshirts, as part of product variability analysis. Their Frazier CFM values were .62, .74, and 1.30. Their Epic pants are made from a lighter weight polyester fabric than their jackets; it tested 3.32.

This morning I took a short break from a very big project and now I have to go back to it for the foreseeable future. So, I won't have time for additional posts on this topic.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

my Houdini is going on five years and used every trip (including lots of day hikes and trail runs)- no windshirt is going to be bombproof, but the Houdini is pretty darn impressive for as light as it is

personally I wouldn't even consider a windshirt w/o a hood, I've used mine too many times to consider going w/o one

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

richard – thanks for the information.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

When I found a Houdini at Realgoods for $43, I decided to just go with public opinion, and send the Golite Dakota back. Plus I get a hood, and full zipper. The downside is it's a horrible orange called "clementine", a word I have hated, for fairly obvious reasons, since 2nd grade. Oh well, a deal is a deal. Hopefully this will work on my bike too.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools