Topic

Caldera Cones – My Adventures in Improving the ULC system

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Caldera Cones – My Adventures in Improving the ULC system

Viewing 15 posts - 101 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

I used a prototype over Spring break, and it was perfect for baking with a Caldera Cone and an Outback Oven. Review on my blog: http://backpackingtechnology.com/food-and-cooking/traildesigns-simmer-ring/

Simmer Ring on stove

Pizza baked on Caldera Cone (TiTri)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Whoa! Pizza while hiking? You've just combined my two favourite things :)

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

Using the Outback Oven and the Caldera Cone, I make biscuits, pizza, popcorn (don't need the oven for that), cornbread, cobbler.

Pizza baked on Caldera Cone

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland
    Clayton Roos

@backpackingbastard

Locale: SoCal

You're my hero, Bob!

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Hey Dan

I realise its a while since the last post on this thread, but I just re-read the whole thing (one of my favourite BPL threads of all time…).

Wondering if you managed to try the cork grip solution in the end? It sounds like a good idea to me…especially as the cork sits above the cone so won't really get flamed, will add a smidge of insulation, and save weight. I can understand if you are reluctant to remove handles…but you could leave them on and still put the cork on to test, until you are sure.

Thinking of going this path myself this year, should have taken the plunge a couple of years ago!

Cheers,
    Adam

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Adam,

No I never did try the cork. I just couldn't bring myself to glue it onto the pot, as it's sort of a committing move. I'm also quite happy with how this system is working now.

Another BPL'er posted some neat material recently. It's sort of a 3D thick heat tape. It looks like it would function much like cork.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=85788

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermo-Tec-14002-Thermo-Shield-Tape-1-5-x-15ft-/380695977636?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a33f9ea4&vxp=mtr

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

No worries Dan, thanks for the reply.

I managed to find that thread you mention late last night, BPLing way way too late past midnight :-)

That stuff does look promising. When I get home to Aus in a few weeks I'll order some as well as find some cork, dig out an old Aluminium pot and have a crack at it. Be interesting to compare the two materials. If I do I'll let you know how it goes. Will be a subjective test.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

It’s nice to come back to Dan Durston’s thread and read how he progressed through his modifications and achieved his goal. He’s got “DETERMINATION”

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Richard Cullip

Dan – that’s exactly what I’ve done with your Fancee Feest stove. I’ve cut down a cone to just the height needed to fit inside my Evernew Ultralight Ti pot (the wide 900ml version) and I’m using the pot support on the Fancee Feest stove to hold the pot. This has given me a nice compact light-weight cooking setup with a minimum of parts to lose. Everything fits inside the pot. So far it’s working for me and, in side-by-side tests, I’m getting similar boil times and fuel efficiencies as my bulkier Caldera Cone and 12-10 stove setup.

Has anyone else used their Fancee Feest stove in the same manner that Richard Cullip did? I tried it and it worked well. Pot needs to rest on the stainless steel pot support.

Brando Sancho
    BPL Member

@saudade

Locale: SoCal

This thread is fantastic. Bumping for awesomeness. I was planning on ordering a Fissure with either the Toaks 850 or the Evernew 750 in this thread. Now I need a Starlyte apparently too LOL.

quinton bryant
    BPL Member

@quinton

Curious about this setup as well?(Has anyone else used their Fancee Feest stove in the same manner that Richard Cullip did? I tried it and it worked well. Pot needs to rest on the stainless steel pot support.)

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I’ve experimented with several cut down cones and the FF comparing it to the 12/10 burner issued by TD

Fancee Feest is by far, more durable and fuel efficient.

quinton bryant
    BPL Member

@quinton

What cone would work the best with the cat food/tomato paste can with 1 inch support height?Thinking maybe a 900 evernew pot sobi can make two mugs of coffee or one meal and one drink.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

What cone would work the best with the cat food/tomato paste can with 1 inch support height?

Can’t say, not familiar with the way your DIY stove behaves.

Dan Durston might be familiar with other designs. He sure came up with a winner design by modifying his kit. Nothing ventured, nothing gained ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 101 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools