Topic

Help with patagonia-style hood

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Help with patagonia-style hood

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Henrik Lützen

@henrikluetzen-dk

hello everyone,

I am designing a light shell jacket made from ETA-proof cotton.
    The fit and design of jacket is based on a traditional Inuit Kamleika – i.e. a slim-fitting anorak – albeit with a larger hood.
    I have previously owned several Patagonia Jackets, and been very happy with the fit and adjustment of their jacket.
    Unfortunately I have sold my last Houdini, which had a clever one-point adjustment system, that I would like to recreate.

IIRC the houdini (Winter 09-model) had one puller very low in the neck which simultaneously tightened the circumference AND the face closure, but with the bungee running in a different manner than found normally in a 3-point adjustment hood (standard shell hood). Some kind of foam was inserted on the face closure to keep the face opening at a preset size.

Furthermore I believe that my Patagonia Hooded Down Sweater had a similar arrangement BUT with some kind of O-ring inserted in the bungee channel, this allowing for lifting the chin portion of the hood UP to provide varying degrees of facial protection.

As i remember this was a very cool idea which allowed for a good fit AND would be easier to sew than a normal 3-point hood.

Therefore, can anyone post pictures, diagrams or an explanation of how the cord arrangement is on a newer Patagonia jacket (with one-point adjustment back-of-head-adjustment)?

I hope this is clear. Thanks a lot.

Kind regards,

Henrik from Denmark

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

I can't help you with the patagonia info, but I am very interested in your results using the eta-proof cotton. I stumbled upon this stuff the other day and have been wondering if it might be the wonder-shell everyone is looking for! You'll have to definitely post your project (with pics and weights!) when you're finished and some field reports to boot.

Keep us informed, and hopefully someone else will get you the patterns you're looking for.

Henrik Lützen

@henrikluetzen-dk

That is a myog project. Not a commercial one. I will post the complete design once complete.

If someone could post just a picture of the drawcord arrangement on a houdini, down hoody or similar I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Garrett
    BPL Member

@sope0021

Hey, I'd be happy to take some more if these aren't exactly what you're looking for, just let me know.

houdini hood

houdini hood

Henrik Lützen

@henrikluetzen-dk

Hey Garrett. Thanks a lot! It was very kind of you. I'll check the pics on the pc asap (am on the phone right now) thanks again

Henrik

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools