Topic

Pusning 3 season bags temp range

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Pusning 3 season bags temp range

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have a WM Megalite which I recently had "overfilled" by WM with 1 oz.of 800 fill down to give me a 20F. bag.

I have slept comfortably in the Megalite Before at 15 F. the overfill with:
    > balaclava
    > fleece glove liners
    > medium weight poly long johns
    > insulated (Thermolite Micro) jacket and pants
    > heavy "sleeping socks"

–>Now, with the overfilled bag and an Eddie Bauer "Down Sweater" (the one seen in my avatar) and the same Thermolite pants I should be able to get down to about 0 F.

Has anyone else stretched their 3 season bag into the 0 F. range?
    If so how did you do it? Use a quilt over your bag if your bag doesn't have the girth of a Megalite?

(BTW, I'll substitute my ProLite Plus mattress for my summertime Prolite mattress.)

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

I've just returned from testing out my combo last night.

Location: Simsbury, CT @ West Mt. and eleveation approx. 1,000ft.

Time: 3 Mile hike to campsite, leaving at 4:45pm and arriving by headlamp at 6pm.

Temperatures: Starting temp was 27* at 5pm and quickly dropped to 12* by 8pm, with a overnight (10pm recorded) temp of 7* with a light wind of 5mph.

Camp Site: Ridgeline with natural tree cover, camped 100 ft from the edge of the ridge on the windward side. Used MLD DuoMid with a MLD Superlight Bivy under it.

SLEEPING GEAR: All these kept me toasty warm in camp and sleeping to 7* and would very likely make it to 0* without issue (I was a bit warm).

• Western Mountaineering Caribou 35* Down Long – 1 lb 9oz. (25 oz.)
    • LaFuma Extreme 50* Synthetic (Long) – 1 lb. 8 oz. (24 oz.)
    • GG Torso Pad (2 oz.)
    • Thermarest SOlite Small (9 oz.)
    • CFF Sit Pad (10"x18") (1 oz.)
    • Mountain Laurel Designs Silnylon DuoMid (18 oz.)
    • Mountain Laurel Designs Superlight Bivy XL (6.5 oz.)
    • Gossamer Gear Polycryo Ground Sheet (1 oz.)

CLOTHING WORN Sleeping:

• Brooks Running Shorts (4.5 oz)
    • Marmot NTS Tights (7 oz.)
    • Montbell Thermawrap Pants (8 oz.)
    • Mountain Hardwear ¼ zip TS (7 oz.)
    • Montbell Alpine Light Parka (Large) (13 oz.)
    • Montbell Thermawrap Jacket (Large) (10.5 oz.)
    • Fleece Watch Cap (3 oz.)
    • Injini NuWool Toe Socks (2 oz./ ea)
    • Rocky Gore-Tex Socks (sz 14) (5 oz.)
    • Acorn Fleece Socks XL (3 oz.)
    Synthetic Fleece Glove Liners (1.5 OZ/ea)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Seth, that's a lot of clothes for sleeping. As I understand it you used a down bag inside a synthetic bag. Correct? Were you warm enough at 7 F.?

Why GTX socks while sleeping?

BTW, good idea using yoru sit pad for extra mattress padding. I use a large sit pad for winter so now I'll use it under my mattress in my hip area.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

The addition of 1oz. overfill to your 30F rated Megalite achieves a rating of 20F? This seems a bit optimistic.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Gene,

Well I was comfortable at 24 F.on an old Thermarest Lite with light poly long johns, T-shirt over my head and sox on my feet in the original WM Megalite.

Now the overfilled Megalite (800 more cu. in.) is SO lofty that I feel it's good for at least another 5 F. lower.

It's possible that WM added a bit more than 1. oz. but either way the loft is significantly greater. And this bag is designed with no side baffle so I used to be able to shift down from bottom to top and vece-versa. Now it's so lofty I think that option no longer is possible.

I haven't yet tried stuffing it into its dry bag but I think it will still fit without over-compressing it.

P.S. WM may not have overfilled the hood area but with a balaclava that would be no problem. I would use it with my TR Trail Pro mattress in winter, pants & shirt beneath the mattress, GTX parka zipped up & over the foot/leg area.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools