Topic

Favorite piece of gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Favorite piece of gear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

If you could recommend one piece of gear to a friend, what would it be? Your favorite piece of gear in your kit. Mine is my Golite Ultra 20 quilt with a couple of extra ounces of down. The extra down turned this quilt into a true 20 degree quilt for 22 ounces for fairly little cash.

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

I've recommended plenty to my friend, in which he went out and bought, but the catch is I didn't actually have it. I do the research and my friend goes out and buys it first, lol.

Some of the gear I've recommended are a ULA Circuit and Catalyst, Snow Peak LiteMax, Kahtoola MICROspikes, TarpTent Rainbow, Zpacks Hexamid, and some others. I bought a Circuit after him, and has been my favorite piece of gear, but I just bought a HMG Windrider to try out and see if the grass is greener. I got to try out his MICROspikes recently on a frozen lake, and it's another piece of gear I'll buy myself.

Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

Windshirt and quilt.

Joslyn Bloodworth

@joslynb

Locale: Southwest

I would probably go with a wind jacket as well. Possibly the smallest, lightest most versatile thing in my gear closet. The fact that it is useful from the hottest summer trip to the coldest winter trip (leaving out expedition like conditions of course :) ), is really a big deal for me. I don't think I've even been on a day hike where I wasn't glad I threw it in my pack, even if it was "just in case".

Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

R1 hoody

Windshirt would be close 2nd (modded camp magic anorak)

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

they are 4 changes in my gear that were really big improvements :

synthetic -> merinos shirt /( silk + merinos if very hot )

tent -> floorless shelter ( tarp / trailstar / shangri la 5 if family etc…)

ridgerest -> neoair.

goretex -> event.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Blackbird hammock – I sleep like a baby thanks to this thing.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

my favorite gear is probably my katabatic sawatch quilt. Its kept me warm on a lot of cold nights. I even show it off to my non-outdoorsy friends, as if they care how lofty my bag is.

I also love my i/o bio contact hoody, since I wear it pretty much all the time. Between skiing and ice climbing I've worn it 5 out of the last 8 days, and I wear it at least 3 days a week for three season backpacking and hiking as well.

One recent fav: marmot scree pants. I've probably already got 20 days in these pans and I've only owned them for a month or so!

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Serge, I feel the same about my contact hoody!

I would have to second the windshirt as my one recommendation. While I have a lot of advice for the big ticket items and clothing in they end personal preference is important.

However, a windshirt is a piece of gear that most (this forum aside) are unfamiliar with and when properly integrated as a layer it can change a lot of your outlook on clothing systems. For that alone it's one of the most interesting pieces of gear available.

Alasdair Fowler

@messiahkhan

Locale: Newcastle, UK

Either my PHD Minimus down jacket or my Blackrock Gear Hat. Both are like instant heat! I love down kit. I now just need down trousers and booties, so I can be fully enveloped in down!

James Stewart
    Spectator

@jstewse

Locale: New England

I don't find myself recommending any one piece of gear as much as I do leaving gear at home. You know, full cook kits, spare undies, camp shoes, and the like. I recommend lightening up. And I guess I do usually rave about my Jam.

Bobby Pack
    BPL Member

@piddler

Locale: West Virginia

The small Bic lighters. I've carried one since they came out. Always works and light weight.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

The biggest revelation for me is definitely merino wool socks and shirts. Socks I warmed up to quickly, sure they're a little pricey but I didn't have to wear uncomfortable liner socks and now I wear them daily through the winter because my feet stay warmer, even at my desk job. It took me a while to shell out the cash for a merino shirt but I'm a convert. They don't stink and don't feel nearly as clammy when they're sweat-soaked as synthetic shirts did.

My favorite piece of gear is my quilt though. Replacing my heavy, bulky synthetic mummy bag with a homemade down quilt has given me the most satisfaction of any piece of gear I've ever purchased/made.

Adam

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

I'd have to stick by my old z-lite. sounds funny, but…
    it is as reliable as anything can be. I love strapping it to the outside of my pack and using it to rest along the trail. it has been comfortable enough for sleeping and it is cheap.

Michael Unger
    BPL Member

@munger

Locale: PNW

My favorite is definitely the wind shirt. I have the Patagonia Houdini. I use it everyday regardless of whether I'm in the hot or cold conditions. It is small and light enough to carry in my pocket. My last wind shirt lasted two thru hikes.

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

I have carried a down jacket with me for maybe 30 years, starting with a Camp 7 with metal snaps, FF, and now my flight jacket. My jacket has several patches and no down in the cuff on my left sleeve due to a hole. I am afraid to wash it because all of the patches. It serves me well morning, evening, and becomes my best friend's down bed at night, Mamadog loves it. Just bought a Stoic Haldron anorak to save 1/4 pound so will see how it goes.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Mountain Laurel Designs Trailstar

You can go round and round looking for the one versatile shelter, but very few offer the amount of coverage, ease, durability, wind shedding, simplicity of design, and versatility all at an affordable price and low weight. I've been pleased with mine and would recommend it to anyone.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I hope i'm agreeing with Eugene next year. :)

Ben F

@tekhna

But my event compression sack. Wet down sucks.

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Locale: Mid-Alantic

My Nano Puff pull over.

I use it in so many different ways.

I am MYOGing a cuben rain suit using the new breathable cuben that I hope will be my next favorite item.

David McBride

@vintagegent

Locale: Galveston TX

The Buff. That thing is as versatile as the company claims: neck gaiter, balaclava, beanie, face mask, pot holder. It's one of those pieces of gear that, once you add it to your kit, you wonder how you ever got along without it.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools