Topic

No New Gear 2012

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique No New Gear 2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Ian Skelton
    BPL Member

@inotleks

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I am an old school backpacker that took the leap into lightweight backpacking just last summer. I still have a lot of gear that needs to be replaced. I was a tough young man who felt pride in being able to carry a 50 pound pack. While my current gear setup is now around 25 pounds (I still have two of the big three over 5 pounds), thanks to the information I learned from this community I will be under 15 by this summer.

While I enjoy the sentiment of this thread, here is to no new gear 2013 and 2014!

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I knew I should have bought that Stratosphire in 2011! And I really had my heart set on a new full suspension MTB. Oh well.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

I'm totally in, except for the trail shoe thing. My montrails just gave up the ghost this morning, so looks like I'll have to get a new pair.

Or strap breadbags to my feet.

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Well said Craig. I have been thinking about the general sentiment of spending less time reading about gear and more time devoted to new skills and experiences. I do not usually announce my personal resolutions but the spirit of your post hits home with me and I am going to give it a fair go. No gear purchases in 2012!

I got off to a great start by spending 12/29/11 fixing holes in the side of my shoes with shoegoo (the soles have plenty of life left). The next two days were spent tromping around Yosemite in my patched shoes. Of course, being an admitted gear junkie, I have new pair of trail runners ready to plug in when the current ones fail.

I would also like to devote the resources I would have spent on gear to a basic mountaineering course. Shamefully, I have an ice ax in my closet that I have no experience with.

This site makes it difficult to avoid gear with all the discussion that often dominates the forum. I am sure I will still read and talk with others about their fun new gear but I will have to double my resolve to resist the temptations it creates for me.

If I can avoid purchasing new gear and continue to avoid the Chaff section, 2012 will be a Backpackinglight.com personal success. Most importantly, I hope my 2012 will be about trips with old BPL friends and meeting new ones.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

Ok, I really like the idea of no new gear in 2012 but I know that something will pop up – it invariably does – and I'll break the commitment – just being honest here. I am going to use my 30-day wish list: if I spot an item, it goes on my wish list for 30 days. If at the end of that period, I still want it, then it gets more serious consideration. In the meantime, I can sell redundant or unused gear to cover my cost. I usually don't buy most of the stuff that goes on my 30-day list. I am on board with the "repair it" approach, though. With a few tools, glue and material, you can fix most things.

We should revisit this thread at the end of the year to see how we did. :)

Cheers,
    Mike

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Two days into the new year, and no new gear purchased yet.

This is really, really hard!

I will be strong. I will be strong. I will be strong.

At least until a "great deal" comes along, anyway.

Then it would be like an investment, you know.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I wonder how many folk will resist the new Exped UL Downmat when it is released soon? )

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

And wonder how many folks will resist a used silnylon Trailstar at a great price when they show up on gear swap once the cuben version hits the shelf?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Craig's post: No new gear in all of 2012!

A number of replies: Me too!

Fine Print: Promise void in case of killer deals, killer new kit, lack of willpower, getting a raise, lottery win, just because. Void where prohibited by law. Taxes and tags extra.

Hobbes W

@hobbesatronic

Locale: SoCal

Well, I cruised this thread, and much to my surprise & amazement, I didn't see one post suggesting that perhaps a change in focus might be helpful. By that, I mean, MYOG.

Now, here's a great (new to some) area in which to really focus on function, develop various craft skills, and save some money. Rather than take a pledge not to buy any more gear in 2012, I would take a pledge to learn how to sew, acquire an inexpensive sewing machine, and get down to it.

As for myself, after not buying any gear in 2011, but rather, building out an entire kit and getting to test it on a number of different occasions, I'm planning on replacing MYOG quilt, bag & tarp during 2012. The new down quilt will be around $125, pack should be around $10 (I'm going to re-use my straps – 1 yd of 1.9 is $8), and tarp maybe $30.

I'm less than 1 lb off a SUL baseweight – and this is for the Sierra, so it includes par/sub-32 gear, and sufficient rain gear (oversized tarp, skirt, etc). If I were to tray & assemble this from different mfgs, it could easily run over $1k.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

I think another good idea is making any new gear purchase contingent on getting rid of something you already have. I've made it a rule that for any new piece of gear I buy, I have to sell/get rid of two pieces of gear in return. That way I'm still downsizing and taking a critical look at my purchases. Honestly, I've been selling off all of my excess and I'm back down to one tent, one sleeping bag, one backpack, etc. It feels great.

This idea also goes for buying redundant gear; do I need a new tent when the one I have works just fine? I feel like going ultralight in backpacking and going ultralight in life are on two different sides of the fence in this forum as of late (i.e. Ryan Jordan's latest article regarding cottage stagnation).

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Maybe we could make some skill specific trips, as part of our outings with other BPL members. One could be orienteering, which I sure would benefit from, another could be plant identification, or fishing or…

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

"Well, I cruised this thread, and much to my surprise & amazement, I didn't see one post suggesting that perhaps a change in focus might be helpful. By that, I mean, MYOG."

I posted that I'd be doing MYOG this year. There are a couple things that I'll probably get that I can't make myself, like a headlamp, lithium ion battery and charger. I may also need a snow shovel for a trip in a couple months. The rest I'll make, both because I want to improve my setup, and to improve or gain skills. Quilt, vest, pants, arm chaps and down hat…maybe a few other things, even a pack if I get good enough.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Yeah, well the "good deal clause" has already resulted in my acquisition of a 1 lb.-lighter sleeping pad for $36 and my first UL down puffy. Doing my part for the economy, fellow patriots! I'm still in acquisition mode after many years of not.

Now, for 2012, I plan to "buy" things like margarine containers and, thanks to a BPL posting, half-gallon milk bottles for UL kits to be built by our Scouts. I may even go hog-wild and get another roll of Reflectix! Acquisition need not be $$$

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

It's a good thing I stocked up on a new TT StratoSpire and Alpacka Yukon Yak in December. I bet I can make it through January and maybe February without buying gear now. Sometime before spring I'm going to need a paddle for my raft though.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Does gear ordered in 2011, but not yet received count :)

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I made it to 01.05.12, I think I completed the first ever YoYo of the twelve step program for UL gear junkies.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Craig, I take this approach with technology purchases. I'll agonize and research for months over parts for a computer, dial in a perfect system for my budget and needs buy it and then turn my back completely on the developments of the computing world until my computer becomes a detriment to my productivity (usually 5 years). Same with photography equipment.

Unfortunately I'm only about 2 years into backpacking and gearing up for it. Luckily I've just squeezed my 3 season AZ kit (ie Fall, Winter, Spring haha) to just under 10 lbs and I'm finding that every time I go into REI or browse backcountry of the gear forums that I get excited over gear but then decide there really isn't anything I want to buy, that I'm rather happy with my setup and would rather just use it more.

I've also been lucky enough to inherit (rather steal from my mom) a quality sewing machine so for 2012 I think my primary goal is to CREATE more gear instead of buying it. I still have a lot of friends who are interested in backpacking but not experienced at all and have no gear so I like to have an abundance of loaner gear on hand for group outings.

All said, I do agree that the aim is noble even though personally I have an issue with dogmatic rules (but that's hypocritical since I gave up drinking for a year on a whim and stuck with it purely out of dogmatic pride!).

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I am just glad that I bought a replacement LT4 pole last year. With that I now have an intact set of gear. It funny that this will be easy for me because I get ZERO joy out of even the thought of new gear. In fact the whole process stresses me out. Now, could I get my Burn to work the R2R2R trip? Hmmm.

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

i have all the gear i need, i simply need time. a look at the calendar shows that my weekends from now until March are all taken with things. luckily this coming weekend is a backpacking weekend!

Larry M
    BPL Member

@maethros

Locale: Mid South

My wife has committed me to no new gear in 2012. Does that count?

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

It counts, but admitting it makes you get a punch in your man-card. One more and you lose it.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Old Proverb= " He who listens to wife has chance to remain a man"

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Heresy! Sacrilege! What is wrong with you people??

New gear pieces are coming out all the time — lighter, swifter, meaner — all to help you get out more and enjoy!! Have you guys (and gals) checked out the latest shelters? Packs? Apparels? Shoes? And don't forget the really cool sleeping pads from Thermarest!!

Ben.
    The Gear Enabler.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools