Topic

Need input on choosing a new pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need input on choosing a new pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

It's come time for me to invest in a new pack. What I need is a pack for fishing trips I take in the spring. On these trips I generally carry no less than 35-45lbs sometimes more depending on the gear and weather. I'm looking for more comfort than UL for this pack. I've been looking at packs in the 65 liter range and have narrowed it down to a few.

Osprey Atmos 65
    Golite Quest
    Sierra Designs Revival 65
    Golite Terrono 70

I had it down to just the SD Revival or Osprey Atmos, but I stumbled onto Golite's website and found the Quest for $79 and Odyssey for $89, and the Terrono elsewhere for about the same as the other two.

Can anyone give me some input on any of these packs? I'm weary of the Golites because I really need something durable because of the terrain and wet conditions. Also, I need to be able to carry a fairly heavy load if necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Spelled "load" wrong.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

for the heavier loads you are looking to carry … whichever fits best i suspect will dictate the purchase … an ill fitting 60+L pack is a recipe for back pain IMO with 40+ lbs

David Ure

@familyguy

Wow – those are some crazy prices. As Eric indicated, fit is key. I certainly haven't heard anything about Golite packs that may suggest poor durability.

For that load requirement, is there any other features that you are specifically looking for?

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Well here's my issue with fit. I don't live anywhere near an outdoors store that carries more than two brands of bags. That being said the bags they carry are generally under 60L.

So what I'm forced to do is gather as much info as humanly possible then order the bag and check fit when it arrives. I've had great dealings with Moosejaw because of this, they let me return my climbing shoes 3 times before I got the right fit.

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Sorry to double post.

I guess I just figured that because Golite's bags are so light they just couldn't be too durable. I need to check them out a little more.

As for features, my main goal is a comfy pack. Most of my normal gear is fairly light and small. But for fishing trips I have to add some heavy, awkward stuff in the mix. I'm not real concerned with pockets, lid/fanny packs, etc., just a good suspension and adequate padding.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

I've had nothing but good experiences using both osprey and golite packs. I believe Osprey is revamping the atmos line for 2012, so you may be able to get a deal on an older atmos 65? Not sure. See here about the new line:

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/group/mens/atmos_series-new_2012

For the price, I would say you can't beat the golite stuff. I currently have a jam that has been put through its paces and had an osprey aether that served me well for a number of years. Golite has an excellent return policy (as do most online vendors that carry Osprey packs).

For overall comfort and options, I would suggest the atmos. If you're only going to be carrying that extra weight occasionally, and want a more "stripped down" pack, I would suggest one of the golites.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

then i would suggest trying one of the ospreys and see how it fits … as for they have the all mighty guarantee … should something happen they will fix or replace it …

providing you can return it of course

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I had good experiences with the quest I used to own. It fit great and I wouldn't worry about its durability. It felt like a very well built pack. I used it as a winter pack before I lightened up and it carried 35-40 lbs well.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Maybe right after your credit card billing period ends, order a few packs from online dealers of your choice and return unwanted packs before your next cycle. REI has a great policy. Do your research like you are doing now to narrow it down then order a few. :), it is tough to make a decision when you add a couple more items to your list. Have fun. I'm looking for a winter pack myself.
    Duane

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Sorry, I don't have any input on the ones you listed, but thought I'd throw out my 2 cents even if you didn't ask for it ;)

You may want to look into the deuter brand. When trying on packs with 35lbs in them, my ACT lite was the most comfortable. It was also one of the cheapest at $170? It's 65 +10, and has an adjustable torso length, which may be usefull if your buying a pack you can't try on. My wife has the women's version and loves hers. Until we can afford to go ultralight, they are serving us well.

No matter what you get though, be sure of there return policy, because what is comfortable for one person could be torture for another.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

My family tried on several packs at REI. My wife and kids strongly preferred the comfort of the Deuter (Act Lite) over the Osprey and Sierra Designs. I was neutral between the Deuter and Osprey, but didn't find the Sierra Designs all that comfortable.

I think it comes down to fit and the Deuter adjustable system is the best I've seen – Easy to adjust, rock solid in use, and durable. Now if it just didn't weigh 4 lbs…

ps: The 3.5 lb Ospreys (Aurora, etc) were lots more comfortable with 30+ lbs of weight than the 2 lbs Exo's series. The fabric was also a lot more puncture and abrasion resistant feeling. Deuter used the same types of heavy duty fabrics. The extra 1/2 lb seemed to be mostly in the hip-belt (it's wider and slightly stiffer). Sierra Designs used slightly thinner fabrics.

Jacob Blumenfeld

@surfingdwedge

Locale: Northern California

Check out the Deuter act zero 50. Without the lid, and just using the rolltop, you are looking at about 49 ounces for the entire pack, before cutting straps etc. I find mine very comfortable, and it holds up to 60 liters with the extending collar. I will be getting rid of mine soon, not because i don't love it, but because my gear has gotten so ultralight that it is too roomy!

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Good deal! I appreciate everyone's input, thats's exactly what I needed. I'm in no hurry to get this pack so I can do some more research. It defintiely looks like I'll be looking into the Deuter ACT lite a little more. If money allows I think I may try to order a few packs at a time, that way I can check them out side by side.

kurt winter

@winter5470

Locale: South Florida

I have both the Deuter act zero 50 and the Golite Jam. For me the Deuter is a lot more comfortable when carrying a load. Yes it weighs more but for "me" the Deuter is a better fit. I also do not use the lid. I just roll the top. I cut a lot of the straps off and it weighs 45 oz. Not UL but comfortable.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools