Topic

Best Fire Starter Ever! Jute Twine

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Best Fire Starter Ever! Jute Twine

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Ludwig

@ender

Locale: Mid-West

You will need:
    Jute Twine (brown twine made up of multiple strands or threads)
    Old junky pot
    Paraffin wax

Cut your Jute into 20 or 30 4" pieces.
    Heat the wax in the pot, then take a 4" piece of Jute Twine and soak it in the wax for a about 1-2 minutes.
    Remove the Jute and let it dry for 5-10 minutes.

Now you not only have a fire starter that will take a spark in record time, but will also burn longer. Because 1 piece of Jute Twine is made up of 6 or 7 smaller strands, you can make it more effective by splitting up the strands and fanning the piece of Jute out. A thinner strand will catch much faster and the wax will keep it lit longer. Your fire starter is also now water resistant. Maybe you need to cross a river or just fall in lol. Once you get to the other side you are able to immediately use your fire starter to get warm and dry.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Benjamin, I've used this before. I fluff up the jute into the finest strands possible, then kind of wind them around into a ball the size of a pea. Then I pack the ball with a bit of molten wax to make the fuel. Then wind some more fluff around the outside to make the wick so you can hit it with a fire sparker.

Then you get to search high and low to find a super lightweight container or plastic bag to store some of these in. That will be different for everybody.

–B.G.–

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools