Topic

MSR lightning ascent snowshoes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals MSR lightning ascent snowshoes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Amazon has the 25" and 22" MSR lightning ascent snowshoes 20% off right now ($216.00). I was able to get backcountry.com to price match.

Matt D.
    Spectator

@mirabela

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but due diligence is in order before buying this particular model. While they are wonderful to use, they are rather delicate, and they fail in predictable and catastrophic ways.

Ron D
    BPL Member

@dillonr

Locale: Colorado

Matt – Could you explain and furnish additional details?
    Ron

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Yes, Matt please tell

I have 100miles on mine w/o probs…

steep ups and downs and traverses in icy conditions.

Matt D.
    Spectator

@mirabela

[urldecode=http://viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?p=306079#post306079]Link[/URL]

This is only one thread of many, just search … firsthand, I've been on mine (30") since March of '09 and they've failed twice in the course of the ~250 miles I've done on them. The first time was the "usual" shearing of the metal crampon plate; that time I descended Santanoni in a 7 foot snowpack with one floppy, dragging, near-useless shoe. I had them re-mounted at the factory with the Denali bindings, which are much more robust. The second time was just yesterday; it was not a complete failure, but the frame sort of bent and buckled right where the binding joins it. I got off the mountain OK, and I was able to wangle them back to shape approximately, but I'm afraid they'll always be weak there, and I'm sure it will happen again.

It's too bad; they're an ingenious design, and when everything is working well they're my favorites of all the snowshoes I've used; they are light and comfortable, with wonderful traction and sidehill purchase, a terrifically easy-to-use binding, and great resistance to the icing and balling problems that plague snowshoes in general. I've been winter hiking and peakbagging since the '80's in northern New England, the Adirondacks, and in the northern Sierra, Cali coast ranges, and southern Cascades, on venerable products by Sherpa, Atlas, and Tubbs, and these are the most delicate by far. It's a real problem, and it's going to land somebody in a real bad jam someday if it hasn't already. But don't take my word for it, search away …

Edited to add — whatever you travel on in winter, bring the means to do field repairs, LOL!

Ron D
    BPL Member

@dillonr

Locale: Colorado

Matt – Interesting read, thanks for the info…..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools