Topic

Patagonia to make lighter and simpler gear?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Patagonia to make lighter and simpler gear?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

I was just looking at Ryan Jordan's website and noticed this quote. I wonder what they'll come up with.

"Ryan's Traveling Light seminar presented at our corporate headquarters was a hit with everyone, from the backpacker to the conservationist. We were very happy to hear about the most important part of wilderness travel and light living – "take less stuff". His work with our design and development teams especially motivated them to start working on lighter and simpler gear."

– Yvon Chouinard, Patagonia, Inc.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

ahhh but will patagucci lower their prices to reflect lighter and simpler ;)

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

Based on the price of their Ultralight Down Shirt, I'm not too optimistic about that.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

No, it will be more expensive!

However, if they continue to use those garish colors, we'll be able to find discontinued colors on sale after a couple of years!

Nick Brown

@ojsglove

Locale: Highland Park

Wasn't Patagonia a cottage brand being made in a garage at it's inception? How dare Ryan work with a former Cottage brand! Wink.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Yes, Patagucci, Cascade Designs, GoLite, all started as "cottage" industries. REI started out in a climber's basement. The internet networking firm my son #3 works for had about a dozen employees when he started and it's now in the S&P 500. Who knows what "cottage" firm will be the next corporate success story?

Things can and do change, though, when a firm becomes really big, enmeshed in its own corporate bureaucracy and having to cater to the mass market. The whole atmosphere is different!

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

If 'lighter and simpler' goes hand in hand with Patagonia quality and function with a no hassle lifetime warranty…..I'll happily pay what they ask within reason. Buy once and use it.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

+1 Eugene.

I still have a pair of gloves I bought in 1982 and I've worn them a bunch. I've always been very happy with the quality and almost always happy with the styling.. I don't care about the pricing, if it's too expensive for me, I don't buy it and vice versa. I look forward to seeing what influence Jordan might have on their product line.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

I know Patagonia rubs people the wrong way, but I love the attention they garner for this sort of thing. It gives me hope such a corporate success story can trickle down to the rest of the industry to the whole economy.

With that said, I don't own many Patagonia items. If I had to be outfitted by one clothier though, they'd be the first brand that would pop into my head. They design and manufacture many lines of clothing at a very high level.

Great opportunity, too, for Ryan. Kudos!

Don Morris

@hikermor

Patagonia started from the bed of a pickup truck, forging pitons. They didn't even have a cottage. I have several items that are more than twenty years old – sometimes pricey to purchase, but they serve well for a very long time. My oldest fleece jacket is pretty well worn, but I retain it for sentimental value. It has saved my butt many times…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Hope they can make some stuff in tall sizes.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

They already make some pretty light stuff. What's the need?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

'Lighter' being achieved as a byproduct of smarter design is worth pursuing, which may be the case here. I think backto the Cocoon synthetic parka and pants which combined simplicity and premium materials in a smart way, using smartdesign not gimmicks, the result was a lighter product than was commercially available at a greater warmth to weight ratio. I have some slight interest in seeing how Patagonia can make their gear lighter and simpler, like Walter mentioned above, it already is pretty light so perhaps we'll see more pieces like the Nano Puff.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools