Topic

2011 Backpacking Light Reader Picks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2011 Backpacking Light Reader Picks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

@Ken K "1) Back surgery and a therapy plan that let me walk again, letting my do my first real backpacking trips (5 of them!) in 4 years !"

Congratulations Ken! That's great to hear. I hope you continue to get better. Best of luck!

1. I didn't get him this year but he was old enough to get added to my kit this year. My trail buddy, Buddy.

Buddy

2. Golite SL-3. My first floorless shelter. Under 2 pounds and tons of room for me and Buddy and all our gear. We got rained on a lot this year and it's nice to have the extra room, and especially headroom. Taking it snow camping this weekend for the first time and I have no doubt it will be great for 4 season use.

3. Patagonia Houdini. Amazing what a difference a super light windshirt can make.

4. Aquamira drops. Before the season I got a Steripen. Which I do like a lot. It allowed me to not carry any water at all when I was confident of water sources. But I got the drops to carry as a backup and they are just so convenient that I don't mind a 15-20 minute wait to drink. I end up carrying some water but not much for very long.

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

Locale: Southeast TN

I finally made the dive into quilts this year. I purchased two from Katabatic. They are working out fantastic so far.

1. Katabatic Chisos. Ordered it with two ounces of overfill in a regular. It is a great summer bag.

2. Katabatic Alsek. Order it with three ounces of overfill in a long. It has been perfect as a colder weather bag.

3. Darn Tough socks. Switched to these from Smartwool this year. I like the feel of them better, plus they don't stretch out as my Smartwools would.

4. Dirty Girl gaiters. Picked up a pair early this year. I don't even notice that I am wearing them.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

1. BearPaw Wilderness Designs Canopy Tarp 2

2. Yama Mountain Gear (2.0) Bug Shelter

3. Western Mountaineering Flash Vest

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

2011 was a neat year for gear.

1) Virga Outdoors (BillyGoat) Wendego
    Exactly what I want in a quilt – the lightest fabrics (M55), the best down (900fp) and just the right amount of down (7.6oz) that I'm cozy in the summer and still cozy in the spring and fall when I wear my other layers inside. 14oz, ~$330.
    Virga Outdoors Wendego

2) Honda Ruckus
    This one is like a pack raft – you have to step back and really think about it before you understand how it can change your hiking experience. With the Ruckus there are two huge transportation benefits. First, I can drive myself up old logging roads that even the toughest SUV's can't handle. Washouts? Fallen logs? A creek? No big deal. I can get anywhere since I can even carry this thing over fallen trees etc. Secondly, the Ruckus fits INSIDE my car (Honda Fit) which means I can shuttle myself on hikes. I can pop the Ruckus in my car, leave it at the trail exit and then drive my car to the start. When I exit I just hop on the scooter and rip back to the start, pop it in my car and head home. This picture shows me arriving at my Ruckus after a 60 mile wilderness traverse. 190 lbs, $2000
    Honda Ruckus

2) Zpacks Zero w Extras
    This custom little pack is perfect for those 1-4 night solo trips. At 5oz, it drops over a pound off my base weight which is great when I don't need a bigger pack. I love talking to Joe to get exactly the features I want, and the price is great for a custom piece of gear. 5oz, $130.
    Zpacks Zero w Extras

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

1) Katabatic Palisade. I was a WM person until I tried Aaron's quilts. The best engineered out there with stellar craftsmanship.

2) I/O Bio Merino Glory 1 Hoody. Great fit, UL merino, thumb loops (that have no signs of wear with trekking pole use), and a solid hood. I had merino base layers on my list last year, but they all sit in the drawer now. Even for day hikes, it's hard to reach for anything but the hoody.

3) MLD Burn. I know I'm late to the party on this one, but the Burn is everything I want a small pack to be. The design of the pack is stellar and the small size is a joy to carry. I dread toting anything else.

Honorable Mention: Black Rock Down Hat. Yes, it's that good. Lighter and smaller than your merino hoody, warmer than fleece. The ultimate SUL answer to headwear. Pair it with your quilt and lose that heavy balaclava.

Honorable Mention: Zpacks Hexamid. 4oz mid shelter. Umm, yes please. Joe is a class-A guy and he pushes SUL to new heights. Exactly what you need in a tarp at the lightest weight. Did I mention Joe's great prices?

Too hard to just pick three. I have to mention Katabatic's overthrow of WM as #1: I am done looking at sleeping systems. My other two picks revolutionized my comfort on the trail. The Hexamid dropped massive weight off my back. And the Black Rock Down Hat is an amazing, fun piece of gear – I just enjoy pulling it out of my pack.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Dan, why not leave the car at trail exit since it is less likely to be stolen? If you exit the trail and your Ruckus is stolen, you would have to get back to your car somehow.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

"Secondly, the Ruckus fits INSIDE my car (Honda Fit) which means I can shuttle myself on hikes. I can pop the Ruckus in my car, leave it at the trail exit and then drive my car to the start. When I exit I just hop on the scooter and rip back to the start, pop it in my car and head home."

First of all, this post cracked me up because I pictured that part in Dumb & Dumber where they ride the scooter all the way to Aspen, CO. Except, this time they're wearing 5oz cuben Zeros.

Second of all, I think this is a genius idea. I have a Kawasaki dual sport and I feel like an idiot for not thinking of this before(I have a truck it fits into the bed of). Thanks for posting this.

Ryan

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

*Let's all do our part to not promote thread drift.

My 3 of 2011:

1) MLD Trailstar- simplicity at it's best, bomber design, and it has a place above treeline in fast changing sketchy weather situations.

2) Nikon D7000+ Nikon 35mm f1.8

3) Kookabay insulated full length inflatable pad….. I can sleep well again.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

1) A tie between: Zpacks Micro-Fleece Hat, Black Rock Down Beanie

2) Jetboil Sol Ti (Modded slightly with cut down and handle-trimmed original Jetboil sleeve – added 0.15 oz., used original Jetboil cup – 0.2 oz. lighter = net -.05 oz. ) – This is just such an easy and convenient stove to use so that you can focus on other things. So quick + efficient (not mutually exclusive in the stove). Minimal set-up = 7.15 oz. / Typical = 7.9 oz. (stove+pot+cozy+foil lid); Component weights below:
    Black Mod'd Original Cozy .7
    Lid .65
    Stove 3.45
    Pot 3.70
    Black Original Cup 1.0

(Thanks to Jetboil for sponsoring our expedition also!)

3) Mountain Laurel Designs MLD 850 Pot + Trail Designs ULC Ti-tri Combo:
    Cone = 0.8 oz.
    Floor = 0.3 oz.
    Inferno Cone = 0.4 oz.
    Spacer Wire Mesh = 0.1 oz.
    Steel Wire Mesh Base = 0.3 oz.
    Paper towel to protect mesh = 0.1 oz.
    MLD 850 pot = 2.6 oz.
    MLD 850 Lid = 0.5 oz.

4) Black Diamond Ultra-Distance Carbon Fibre Z-poles @ 9.5 oz.
    Simple. Sturdy. Compact. Light.

I somehow missed posting my 2010 picks last year, so here are those:

1) BPL Hane Tenkara Rod
    2) Kooka Bay DAM @ 14.9 oz. 3.5" x 60" x 20" Mummy
    3) Black Diamond HiLight 2
    4) Mont-bell Ex-Light Vest @ 3.9 oz. in Size L

Larry M
    BPL Member

@maethros

Locale: Mid South

1) Olympus XZ-1 – f1.8 goodness in a pocketable package.

2). Tarptent Notch – Just got it in time for Chritmas. To me, Henry has created the perfect solo tent.

3). Black Diamond Ultra Distance Poles – Half the weight of my old poles and deploy/stow in a fraction of the time. What's not to like?

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

1. Zion National Park Traverse: Not gear, but this was an amazing trip.

2. MLD Duomid: Gotta love the pyramid tarp.

3. Golite Jam: A great all around pack that carries weight extremely well.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

1. The Stateless Society Custom Quilt- Three inches of loft and wide cut made for a side sleeper makes this a perfect quilt. It has kept me toasty down to 20* so far and should be good for at least another 5*. At 20.25oz, its about as light as one could hope for a quilt this warm.

2. Mont-Bell UL Down Inner Jacket- I have been using this jacket since 2008 when I replaced my Thermawrap, and I can’t imagine there being a better piece of backpacking gear. This Jacket makes its way into my pack for most of my trips and adds an amazing amount of warmth for a 7oz jacket.

3. SMD Swift ’10 Pack- When I wore my first small hole in the extension collar of my Swift after 1100 miles of use, I realized just how much I love this pack. It made me realize that though I have packs in my gear closet made by MLD, Gossamer Gear, ULA, and Golite, this is the pack that fits me best, and the ’10 version is no longer available, now with weight adding features like a removable instead of sewn on hipbelt. Used with a Ridgerest, this is the perfect fall, winter, and spring pack for me and all for only16.65oz

Honorable Mention:

1. Trail Designs Caldera Cone-I have been using this cone since 2008 and it has always exceeded expectations. It boils 12oz of cold water with only 15mL of fuel. The cone is looking pretty rough, and the stove even worse, but they still perform as good as ever. My old trusty Gigapower has set lonely the past few years because of this stove.

2. Polycro-I recently noticed that I have been using the same sheet of Polycro the past few years. Now I only use it in the cooler months when there aren’t many bugs, but who would have ever thought you would get multiple years use out of something so flimsy. This stuff is so much more durable than it looks or feels.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

In no particular order;

Katabatic Chisos with 2oz overfill – A bit over 16oz and warm to below freezing. Beautifully hand crafted in the USA. In 2010 it was my Katabatic Sawatch and I just received another Chisos in wide with a 2oz overfill that may make the 2012 cut. My son will inherit the other Chisos for backpacking trips with the scouts.

Jet Boil Ti Sol – Fast, convenient, and fiddle free, what's not to like.

Exped UL7 Synmat – It hasn't replaced my Kookabay DAM but it is sweet for an aging side sleeper down to below freezing. I see a NeoAir All Season in my future that may replace the Exped if it works well to the teens.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

[thread drift]

"Why not leave the car at trail exit since it is less likely to be stolen?"

Often I'm with my wife, so we drop off the Ruckus, drive together to the trail head and then upon exiting I drive the Ruckus back to get the car. Aside from that, you're right leaving the car at the exit would be safer, although I do chain up the Ruckus to a tree.

[/thread drift]

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Locale: Rockies

1. Saucony Exodus trail runners – With wide feet these work great, super comfortable all day long, I find myself wearing them for just about everything.

2. GSI Minmalist / Cat Food Stove / Windscreen – I messed around with the windscreen and hole layout to to get a package that works good. For less than $30 I love sitting it down next to others Jetboils, a little slower, but the coffee is always hot in the morning.

3. Simblissity Levagaiters – Put them on and forget about them.

4. Mike Clellands Ultralight Backpackin' Book – What a great read.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

1. The brilliance shown again and again on the MYOG forum
    2. BPL member John Roan's instructions for building a cuben backpack for about $35 in materials at mountainultralight.com
    3. Costco $30 down jacket with hood

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Locale: Mid-Alantic

1) Our new hiking buddy "Summit" A Hungarian Pointer / Vizsla
    along with anything for dogs by RuffWear (Sporting his boots and harness)

Summit1summit2

2) New Caldera Fissure w/ Inferno + GramCracker for the Evernew Titanium Ultra Light Deep Pot .9L

3)Camp-tek Microburst for our 2 Stephenson's Warmlites

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

This hasn't been a big shopping year for me and I like my kit already. Two pieces that have made my backpacking outings even better :
    A Golite Ultra 20, that Douglas Ide had converted to an under quilt and then generously passed on to me. I converted it back to a quilt, which is now shorter (perfect) and weighs just over 14 ounces!!
    A full length Hammock Gear underquilt. Baffled and with almost 4 inches of loft. No more pads to adjust under me to match the 3/4 length. Cozy and comfortable as I can be.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I see a lot of repeats from last year on here :)

Katabatic Pallisade- a true below freezing quilt, quality materials, quality workmanship- I was very pleased with it's performance this past year

MLD Duomid w/ Duo inner- this replaced our MSR Carbon 2, my wife is not the "tarp type", setting up the Duo w/ the inner wasn't too different than setting up a tent- shaved about a pound or so off our previous tent AND also gives me a shelter I can use in the winter

MLD Solo Trailstar- my solo trips I had been using a poncho-tarp, I wanted something light, but less spartan- the Solo Trailstar was just what I was looking for

honorable mention- Steri-pen Opti, a nice, a no fuss water treatment that preserves the taste of the water- a little more weight in the pack (vs Micropur tabs), but thus far no complaints

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Those are two very beautiful hiking buddies who have joined us in 2011!

I consider my dog part of my sleep system (he makes a great foot warmer!) as well as good company, so it's certainly appropriate to recognize new dogs here!

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

1. SteriPen Opti: In the Pac Northwest, I almost never carry water. Can you find a better tradeoff? Lose 1-2 POUNDS of water for 4 ounces? Rides in my pocket and any little stream becomes a water source. Cold drinking. Fast. No chemical taste. Obviously geography dependent, but most areas out here we cross water every 30 minutes or so. Has truly changed the way I travel.

2. Te-Wa Underquilt. Tried multiple configurations of pads, but nothing comes even close to the speed, simplicity, and crazy warmth of my Te-Wa. Have not had one single cold night since. Best 16 ounces a hammocker can invest in.

3. Balvenie Scotch. 'nuff said.

Conner D

@cdipaolo

Locale: SoCal

1) Katabatic Gear Palisade Quilt: definitely warmer than 30º, I have not used it to its limit but it is the nicest piece of gear that I own.

2)MYOG: Just got into it and it is rewarding, not much to say.

3)Montbell UL Down T: Less Drafty compared to a vest, cooler than a jacket. It is a great piece when you want something warm to hike in cooler temps.

John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

1. Exped Snymat UL7…warm, comfortable and better built than others I tried

2. Ibex hooded indie…great for sleeping and cold mornings

3. Nano puff pullover…great layer for my needs, still want to try cocoon hoody

Regards,
    John

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

#1 Lightheartgear Solong6 Tent-
    This tent has made me rethink my whole concept of what I needed for a tent. It is more than long enough and wide enough for my 300# 6'1" self and has also worked well with my girlfriend or my 11yr old son. It has survived winds on top of a mile high bald near the A.T. and weathered pounding storms on various trips. All of this for 27oz fully seam sealed and with guylines and tensioners. Nuff Said!!!

#2 Thermarest Neoair Large-
    This pad made me give up my all time favorite pad(Exped Downmat Delux 9) and save over a pound of weight in my pack!

#3 Alcohol Aluminum Stoves and Titanium Cookware- A no brainer but it took me awhile to let go of my MSR Whisperlite for 3 season trips.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools