Topic

2011 Backpacking Light Staff Picks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable 2011 Backpacking Light Staff Picks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

2011 Backpacking Light Staff Picks

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Addie, congratulations!!!

Next year's pick will be a baby carrier, no doubt!

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Loved the picks this year, because the reasons for the choices were not merely an exercise in tech specs and gram counting. Instead, it reflected a greater appreciation of simplicity and making use out of things already owned. And if there is a silver lining in this long recession it is the realization that things rarely make us happy – but experiences do. So go out there with your friends, your family and enjoy the outdoors. Enjoying it lighter usually helps, but the gear is just a conduit to the experience.

James Schipper
    BPL Member

@monospot

Are the Arc'Teryx Gamma LT Pant really 5.7 oz? Seems a bit light.

David Ure

@familyguy

Yeah – that is a misprint.

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

Congratulations to you and your husband, Addie!

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Congrats on the new hiker, Addie!

Yeah, a strange mix of choices, as always. I really like the Backcountry Boiler. This is the esscence of what cottage industry in a niche market should be. Slow to order, slow to deliver, but a singularly GREAT product. So good it makes you forget the wait.

Damien Tougas
    BPL Member

@dtougas

Yes, that is a misprint, they are actually 11 oz in a men's small. I will make sure that gets fixed.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Congrats Addie!

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Is the Houdini's weight off too? I would love a full zip hooded windshirt for 2oz

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Yes on the houdini weight being inaccurate.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Houdini comes in around 4oz. . 2oz is more in line with the Montbell Tachyon windshell.

Either way, you'll notice neither of them in your pack.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

For reference, here are the BPL communities 2010 picks:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=40800

I'm mulling over my 2011 picks now….

Those OR Versaliner gloves looks awesome Will.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

I've been eyeballing the Versaliners for a few months now myself. Those shell's look stellar. I was able to confirm with Heath Pitts on these forums, who recently got a pair for x-mas, that the shells are not seam taped. So, not 100% waterproof if you're wondering.

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

The two mentioned mistakes have been fixed. Thanks all!

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

Interestingly enough 2011 has seen my favorite gear picks move away from pure BPL standard stuff we see here all the time. My wife and I had a son this year so my attention has moved from spreadsheets and hypothetical trips to what gear works the best with the time I have to use it so here are my top four (could not decide on three).

Saucony 4MM drop shoes: The Kinvara’s and the Peregrines have changed my outdoor experience. I have learned I am not meant to be a super minimalist runner but a low drop shoe with cushion is where it is at for me. Can't wait for the 4mm drop Exodus 3.0

Osprey Talon 22 with Osprey Hydration bladder: Don't even care that it is not UL b/c it just works. I have never owned a pack that carried 100oz against my back so comfortably. Was able to complete a 1 day 26 mile half Pemi loop this year and did not have to waste time planning water stops.

Rechargable LED's: My daily outdoor life now takes place in the dark before and after the little guy goes to bed. Be it a 5:30am run or an 8pm cyclocross trail ride the Petzl Core Tikka and the Niterider MiNewt 600 keep me going.

Honorable Mention
    Patagonia 9 Trails Jacket: I agree with Mike, for the last 3 years this has been my go to softshell for running/biking/XC skiing and even backpacking. The super breathable back panel is awesome and the hoodless design is great for layering under a hardshell. Glad I have the old model with the softshell cuffs.

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

This is the first I've heard of the Backcountry Boiler.

What's the scoop? What is it and when might it become available?

– Elizabeth

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

What great timing. You'll be playing with the baby by the time it gets really hot (living in AZ I'm always thinking about the heat factor):)

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

so I just received the rab latok gloves–event outer, "waterproof", fleecy lining, excellent dexterity, grippy palm. Sized tight. Haven't been able to try them yet in the snow. Now I see these Versaliners…hmmm. I'm sure that I'm going to love the Latoks. Maybe too warm while Nordic skiing? Probably not. Anybody have experience? Sorry if this is drifting…These gloves may be on my top three list.

Kathy A Handyside
    BPL Member

@earlymusicus

Locale: Southeastern Michigan

This is the first I've heard of this. I've been steering clear of pads that are not self-inflating because after an experience with one of those pads going flat halfway through the night because the warm breath I introduced into it when inflating it cooled off. I just went to Camp-Tek's website and I'm sold! I'm definitely going to order one of these. This means I can go to a lighter-weight non-self-inflating pad! Thanks Ray!

Daniel Benthal

@dbthal

Locale: Mid-Coast Maine

Kristin,

"Does anyone want my Raw Date Ball cookie recipe?"

Sounds good – Yes I'd like the recipe!

Dan

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Here is my own list of my top 10 favorite pieces of hiking gear that I used in the 2011 hiking season.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
    Joseph Regallis

@backpackandgear

Some very good recommendations and it's good to see your staff has a great sense of humor as well! I will add some of my recommendations. Hope they help. Joe from Backpack and Gear

backpack-and-gear.com

Hi Joe
    Bit marginal, close to an advertisement. Tread lightly.
    I have left the URL to your web site.

Cheers
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    Backpacking Light

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

n/m

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools