Topic

Patagonia Brilliant Neon Colors in Outdoor Gear – Woohoo!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Patagonia Brilliant Neon Colors in Outdoor Gear – Woohoo!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

Several years ago I reviewed some research about how certain animals seemed drawn to brightly colored apparel, tents, etc. – to include grizzlies. Since then, it was earth tones only for me.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

what people wear really is up to them … im not a fan of certain brands, but its up to people if they want to spend the moola and wear those in the wild …

as konrad said, there are more important things to worry about that actually affect the wilderness …

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Doesn't matter to me though my preference is gray; I'll go olive drab and tan for stealth, … or brilliant neon for snowsports in the backcountry however. Just depends, and I have mucho military surplus to wear out (Gen III ECWCS that touched skin doesn't get returned when retiring). Might add a generic multicam shirt if needed for stealth camping. Although ….

Recently trying to replace all my smaller items (clothing, etc…) in "brilliant" colors so when breaking camp, they are easy to spot.

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

I have a Patagonia Houdini in Clementine orange and got a great deal on it. The only Patagonia gear that I own. I love it. I really wanted a windshirt and I did a lot of research on what to get based on weight, fit, breatheability, comfort, quality, construction, etc. But I forgot to consider the most important factor: what color should I get and what will other backcountry users think of me and my windshirt, if I pick a color they don't like, in that 1-15 (15 if if you like to chat, 1 minute if you don't) minutes you see me when we pass. I'm still trying to figure out which is more vain, that someone would wear a piece of gear to get noticed, or that you think someone so wants your attention, that they would wear a piece of gear just to try to impress you. Personally, if I was worried about what someone thought of the way I looked, I'd first ditch the goofy looking sun hat. But that isn't happening either.

So wear whatever you want. If I find it that offensive, I'll close my eyes for a minute.

@clay
    "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."

Whenever someone tells me that at work, I tell them that used to be true but in the modern, modular times, the squeaky wheel gets replaced. :)

clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

@clay "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."

Whenever someone tells me that at work, I tell them that used to be true but in the modern, modular times, the squeaky wheel gets replaced. :)

Sounds about right, I'm due for replacement anytime now. ;)

I do like the way you turned the table there Randy, but the truth is that I really don't care what other people wear or what they think of what I wear. I just wear what suits me, because if I buy something that doesn't, then it just collects dust in the closet. I just think if half the people want subtle colors and the other half don't, then why not make both?

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Re Randy:

"I have a Patagonia Houdini in Clementine orange and got a great deal on it."

Great deals can be found when "last year's colors" are being cleared from inventory once all the "popular" colors from last year have been sold off at non-discounted (higher) prices and the "new" colors are on the way to the market.

All else being equal, I usually prioritize great deals over color selection.

Although I might choose a different color if someone wanted to finance my purchase of some color popular for them, if it also appealed to me.

All else being equal.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Eugene, That's great. I just got a mental image of a big ol' bumble bee hiking through the woods!

As for the marketing discussion, most companies always provide a black or grey color option to every one of their products making this entire thread nearly pointless. Patagonia is the exception to that rule, but it was founded by some dirtbag climber who enjoyed the 70s and 80s, so what do you expect?!

I think the general deciding factor here though is from what they pursue in the backcountry. General hiking folks seem to prefer the muted colors, and when I'm doing general hiking I do too. People coming from some form of mountain or snow sport prefer the bright colors and this is a simple safety issue. In the spirit of lightweight is it better to have some fancy electro-gizmo for finding your base camp in a whiteout, or is it lighter to just have a neon yellow/orange shelter? It's this safety issue that I think has influenced the colorfulness of snow sports culture more than any psychedelic brain chemistry aspect.

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

And just so you know I'm not oblivious to fashion rules, I never wear white trail runners before Memorial Day or after Labor Day. :)

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

I am fairly moderate. My typical worn clothing is more subtle, but even my wind shirt is a bright-ish red (my rain shell is blue). If I need to be seen, I have a hunter orange pack cover that I take under those circumstances. My 3-season shelter is stealthy, but my mountaineering tent is bright red.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

@ Eugene – are you going for the Johnny Cash of backpackers vibe??

Anyway, we had a saying in the 80s – "just say no……….to day-glo". Sounds like good advice for now. Unless I'm on the bike, then I have some god awful bright jackets and jerseys.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

@ Joe,

I'm thinking more of a recovered UL Black Panther member kind of vibe.

;-) Kidding of course.

blacked out

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

People coming from some form of mountain or snow sport prefer the bright colors and this is a simple safety issue.

i think its a simple question …. if you get caught in an avalanche, or take a fall and need SAR to rescue you … what color do you want to be wearing?

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

I would have never thought that one might perceive my choice of bright colors as a need for vanity attention. That said, for backpacking, I do prefer earth tone colors….but always carry a bright orange wind jacket with the understanding between my wife and friends that it will be used as a spotter should something go awry when soloing (I'll up the colors during hunting season!). My current jacket, which would make some if not most of you cringe, is a modified thrift store special…..hunter orange with 1" wide strips of reflective material on the sleeves and chest (Reflecto man at night!). I added 5 stake out loops so it could be staked to the ground (have 2 friends w/ planes) or fastened to a tree. I also use this jacket as a visibility item when riding my motorcycle to the trailheads.

I carry this practice over from whitewater kayaking where bright colors are really needed in the dimly lit canyons we frequent…. for keeping track of comrades…. or being found (I walked by a friends body under a foot of water several times without seeing him. He was found several days later after the levels dropped. Clean water but dark spot with dark colors). Unfortunately, and amazingly, few kayakers consider this ….though it has grabbed more attention as of late.

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

You can get most Patagonia items in subdued colors. But then you'd have to admit to yourself that Yvon sells hardcore outdoor clothing to the US military, 'cuz that's who drives those colors: "alpha green", etc. And its driven not only by regular grunts, but by the most evil of evil spec ops units, which are the ones with the funding to afford Yvon's stuff.

Then you'd have to ask yourself why Yvon is OK with "profiteering" via eeeeeeevil military sales…! :)

But then you can relax while envisioning Yvon spending tons of bux to have his window panes sealed with beeswax and thread, since it's more environmentally friendly.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

I like some bright colors but some I find a little too much and bit over the top for my taste.
    But -thats just my personal taste. I like a few items to have bright colors but not all.
    I do not know why people are offended by what others wear.
    Colors are just a little bit of personal expression. They are a part of what makes us human. Look at native peoples around the world that live close to the land and you will see a whole lot of bright expressive color. Maybe they know something we don't? Or we forgot?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I like it when other hikers wear bright colors. You can spot them from further away and avoid them. I'm with Eugene. An all black ensemble.

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

I'd have a really dull and stealthy wardrobe if it wasn't for those darn 60% off sales. Fortunately I can cover most of it with my patriotic alpha green Houdini.

I know the economy is tough everywhere …but is that a homeless ninja?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Backcountry Ninja…….watch out.

Angela Zukowski

@angelaz

Locale: New England

I think it's hilarious when people lump others into categories due to appearance (i.e. "posers" "skiers & rock jocks" etc. etc.). There have been lots of very reasonable, valid responses to this thread; that being said here's my additional two or three cents:

I love, love, love bright neon colors. I'm an artist. Drab colors make me cringe. I honestly want this whole fluorescent trend to stay alive for a looooong time. And I've always had a soft spot for bright colored retro clothing, too!

I am also a certified LNT trainer, and I wholeheartedly disagree with the whole "respect others with the colors of clothing you chose" concept… as someone else pointed out already, that's just silly. (Sorry, Guy Waterman. I practice pretty much everything else you preach.)

I may be wearing bright purple zebra striped spandex, but I'm also hiking silently, picking up others trash, and in general really getting a lot out of my hikes/respecting others and the environment wholeheartedly. If my sartorial choices are what's bothering you, you are not paying attention to what really matters, which is your hike. I don't wear these things to be noticed, I wear them because they are FUN. (Although it is nice to be noticed when you are attempting to hitch-hike!) Most hiking clothing is NOT fun… it is generally sized too large, is unflattering, and comes in sad, awful, drab colors like khaki and olive green. If I don't wear lumpy sad sack outfits off the trail, why the heck should I have to don them when I go hiking? And yeah, you may see me on the summit… but if you're paying attention and I'm moving, you're going to see me anyway.

I also agree that it helps with SARs and I do hike during hunting season, so my color choices are always an added bonus there. Anyway, I'm going to hike over 2,000 miles this spring/summer… in so many neon colors your eyes may start bleeding. :)

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

white collar conservatives flashing down the street
    pointing their plastic finger at me
    got my own world to live through
    and I an't going to copy you.
    'speshly that neon stuff!:)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I do not like bright colors for backpacking clothes and tents. I have a blaze orange 2' X 3' signal cloth should the need arise. Hopefully never.

@ Dustin, YA got me there but that is the brightest piece of gear I own. Got it on sale and that "electric" blue was all that was available in my size.
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Eric, hate to nitpick, but aren't you wearing a bright blue down jacket in your avatar?!

;)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

If you are worried about being spotted, just bring a bright orange space blanket and tie it around your waist/chest in the event that someone is looking for you.
    IMO, wearing overly bright colors is kind of offensive. I'm not going to hate on you if you wear it, but having a moment of solitude interrupted by neon colored dots in the distance is not a pleasant experience.

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

I'm in the same boat as Angela, Viva La Neon. Current favorite pieces of gear are currently "sickening" Gecko Green Houndini and Leopard gone wrong Dirtygirlgaiters. One of my past tents (Hubba) was also bright orange.

Panamint City smokestack in the background.
    Houdini

Dgg

On top of White Mountain (California).WM

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

On another note, if you are walking around pot country, do you think it's better to wear bright colors and be seen or not be seen?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools