Topic

Best Hikes in the World

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

A few years ago, I came across this list of the world's classic hikes and I've used it to get some travel destination ideas. What are some other classic hikes that you think should be on the list? Or maybe some on the list that shouldn't be?

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

The classic hikes are really spectacular but draw crowds during the weekends "in season"; for crowd haters they may not be their best, so maybe 'classic' is a better term. The latest has been Peter Potterfield's book

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Hikes-World-Breathtaking-Treks/dp/0393057968

… though I bought the similar "Classic Treks" edited by Bill Birkett for about $7 (USD) on sale with articles from various authors as a coffee table book.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

Agreed that the crowds can make some of these classic hikes not necessarily the best hikes. It's the classic hikes that I was wondering about with this question, so I just updated the thread title to reflect that.

One that falls in this category that's not on the list and that I've been looking into is the Tour du Mont Blanc.

EDIT: Actually, scratch that. I guess what I'm interested in is the best hikes in the world in terms of scenery or just being unique in some way, regardless of whether they are a crowded classic or the super secret hike that nobody else knows about….although I assume that latter will not be revealed here.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

There is a lot of blurring between hikes versus backpack trips versus other.

I think a hike is something you can finish in one day.

A backpack trip is something longer than a day that you can do unsupported.

In some countries, a trek is like a backpack trip except that you have support by porters or pack animals.

–B.G.–

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Tonto Trail should be a consideration.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools