Topic

2008 A.T thru hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 2008 A.T thru hike

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jeffrey Hartman

@jeffhartman1019

Locale: midwest

need best lightest reccomendations for tent…….and pack….

any advice would be much appreciated

want to stay light need to get done in 3.75 months

cheers
    freeleo

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

Are you dead set on a tent? A tarp is lighter, as is a bivy sack and a poncho tarp.

I'd recommend something like a Gatewood Cape and a Titanium Goat bivy sack with the bug screen added in. Still lighter than a tent, and the Cape serves as shelter, rain gear, and pack cover…all for about 11 ounces. With the bivy, you'll have bug protection and the versatility to sleep out under the stars.

If you don't want the bivy, then Gossamer Gear sells a 3 ounce bug screen that covers your upper body.

Just my thoughts.

Tom

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

Also remember the shelters built along the AT. I agree that a tarp or poncho tarp and bivy will give you greater flexibility for your sleeping arangements inside and out of the AT shelters.
    Pack is pretty personal, and very dependant on what you are carrying.

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

Remember that it literally could rain on you for several months. Make sure you are happy with what you have for that extended period of time. The shelters will allow you to dry out your gear and have a place to retreat to, but they can be crowded and you may not get a spot. It will also be HOT at times and you probably will not want to be in a bivy for extended periods of time. My vote would be for separate shelter and rain gear with something for bugs. I like anything from Tarptent and Six Moon Designs. You could also get a tarp with a ton of coverage like a Golite Hut 1 and use some bug netting for your torso or an Adventure 16 bug bivy. Also get a durable pack like Six Moon Designs, ULA, or Golite made from dyneema or equivalent. They will last the long haul and will be lightweight. Just my opinions, and you may prefer a different system.

Stephen Nelson

@stephenn6289

Locale: Sunshine State

you may be interesting in checking the pictures that i posted one of the best bivy values on the market. It is under the title TiGoat Epic Bivy pictures and details

Jeffrey Hartman

@jeffhartman1019

Locale: midwest

thank you to all

keep the advise coming please

all things concidered

peace jeff

Joe purvis

@gijoepurvis

I would suggest a MSR Fling.(3.5 pounds) I love mine!
    Going with a tarp would be lighter, but you would probably still get wet. An extra pound or 2 is worth it to stay dry.

Also, check out the GoLite Odyssey. A little more than 3.5 pounds, but 5800 ci. I just ordered one because it was the lightest for its size that I have seen.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

David Chan

@iamthechan

Locale: Southern California

Hey Jeff,

I'm hitting the AT for a NOBO thru in just over a month. I can relate to your desire to go light.

I'm taking a Gatewood Cape for shelter (also raingear and packcover) Mine is around 12 oz. seam sealed.

For a pack, picked up a GoLite Jam 2. 21 oz. manufacturer weight. I took out the foam back since I'll use my GG Nightlight torso pad as a frame/backpad.

I'd be curious to see the rest of your gear list, and will likely post mine soon to get some last minute feedback.

Happy planning!

Andy Goodell

@geekguyandy

Locale: New York State

I have a hard time giving up a tent for a tarp as well. I am thrilled with my Tarptent Double Rainbow. Still has full coverage, bug netting, floor, 2 doors, 2 vestibules, great ventilation, and inside liner to reduce dewing and help manage temps. Whole set up (tent, pole, 6 stakes, liner, sack) is 48oz for mine.

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

David, there's a slight chance I'll see you out there. I leave April 14 or 15, so you'll have to play catch-up :)

Like you, I'll probably be using my Gatewood Cape. I'm not sure if I'll be in my old Jam [sentimental] or my new SMD Essence pack. I'll sleep on 5-6oz of foam pads with the backpack under my feet. I plan to start with my Marmot Hydrogen bag and switch to an MH Phantom 45 for the warmer summer days in Virginia and later. When I cook, I'll stick with my reliable 6oz kit built around the Evernew .9L Titanium pot. Clothing is still in flux, but I know my Thermawrap and one of my windshirts will go. I think I'll end up in the 7.5-8.5lb range as usual.

Also, y'all be sure to check out Whiteblaze.net. There's a million AT experts over there that can give you really good gear critiques for the time and location you'll be starting.
    -Mark

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Here are more reviews and also look in their store.
    Also a good comparison chart on tents and backs can be found at backcounrtygear.com under a link at their site called "matrix". Usually it is in the upper righthand corner.
    http://thru-hiker.com/reviews.asp

Check out the packa for a raingear/windbreaker/pack cover combo. It makes rain gear easy to put on and of without removing your pack. It is also long enough to cover some shorts to help keep them dry. At thru-hiker the Adventure bug net is a nice option if you want to carry a tarp without netting. At this website check out the titanium version of the esbit stove.

Erik Sund

@sundek

Thomas – For me, bug protection is one of the major appeals of a light DWR-type bivy. Not many of them seem to offer a zippered bug screen, though. How well does the bug netting option on the Titanium Goat bivy work? It looks like it's just a flap of mesh sewn in along the bottom end. Do you find that you get a reasonable "seal" with this? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on this bag.

Thanks,
    Erik

David Chan

@iamthechan

Locale: Southern California

For bugs I have a my bivy + a BPL headnet and ballcap to sleep in…I haven't tried it in heavy skeeter land, but here's hoping!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools