Topic

Skyline to the Sea trail closed?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Skyline to the Sea trail closed?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

My wife and I were planning to backpack the skyline to the sea trail next week, and the ranger just told me all trail camps are closed until May. Does anyone else have any insite into this?

In the past I've only done this during the winter months.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Was the case last year as well. I think (?) 2010-11 it was still open though. I suspect it's largely a budgeting issue.

You may be able to negotiate parking at the end points and staying at the car camping campground in Big Basin. You could stay the first night at Castle Rock's campground (~3 mile hike in) to make it a weekend.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

I am aware that Castle Rock is scheduled to close in 2012 but the camp closure is bad news. I have a week off after Christmas and thought I could devote a couple days to Skyline to the Sea.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Christopher…first I have heard of this and I live in the vicinity. One thing you might be able to do is just hike to Big Basin instead of staying at the trail camp. You will need a reservation at Big Basin in order to do so. The mileage to the camp is 19 miles and it is pretty much downhill to Big Basin. I did it and if I can surely you can do those miles in a day. That would leave you with a two day trip to get to Hwy 1. The second day is 12 miles which I finished by noon. It is a pretty easy hike. Please keep in mind the first day you are traveling along Hwy 9 for a good part of the morning

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

I did the trail 2 weeks ago. Yes the trail camps were closed so we just stealth camped a a mile or so before the headquarters. I suppose it could have been risky but we had smallish packs and stayed to the trail going through the headquarters. It was a day after that major windstorm so there was a LOT of branches and downed tree's on the trail. hopefully they've cleared em by now. if we had seen a ranger on the first day we prob woulda said we were gunna stay at the headquarters camp.. 2nd day maybe say we got dropped off and were going down to camp at the beach and walk back up the next day. Im not really sure what citation would be if we were caught? trespassing?

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Jason, what did you do for parking? I never found a good spot to leave my car for stealth camping.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

at the top we parked in this turnabout.

(click street view.. we parked next to the callbox)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=37.257202,-122.118513%20%2827530–27718%20CA-9,%20Saratoga,%20CA%20%2095014,%20United%20States%29

We drove around a bit and there were no 'no parking' signs anywhere on that side so we went for it.

At the bottom from what i remember there didn't use to be 'no overnight' parking signs next to the main gate but there are now so we drove up and ways and found another little turnout that didn't have any signs.

(click street view.. right next to the log)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=37.093209,-122.274536%20%283600–3622%20Cabrillo%20Hwy,%20Santa%20Cruz,%20CA%20%2095060,%20United%20States%29

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools